Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drying cilantro

Options
Since cilantro doesnt last more than about a week in the fridge after buying I was just curious to know if drying the extra that doesnt get used for salsa at that time would have same taste if trying to use later salsa? Anyone have experience with drying and reusing?  Does it have the same taste as fresh?

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    I have never really thought about drying it. It is so cheap at the store that I just end up getting it when I need it.
    Las Vegas, NV

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    I’ll dehydrate herbs , do it at a lower temp, no more than 115....if you plan on doing this , buy way more than you think IE a half bunch of leftover Cilantro dehydrated does not yield much.....I grind stems and all and use as a powder 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    If you can find cilantro with roots still intact get it.  The roots have more of the cilantro flavor.  I use roots, stems, leaves - everything.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Assuming it's in good shape when fresh, you can wash and wrap in paper towel, for us it lasts more than a week, or you can freeze.  IMO dehydration alters the flavour and texture, not ideal for salsa or sauces.
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    Assuming it's in good shape when fresh, you can wash and wrap in paper towel, for us it lasts more than a week, or you can freeze.  IMO dehydration alters the flavour and texture, not ideal for salsa or sauces.
    True, not ideal for salsa and it does change the flavor ..I use dried herbs in my sasusages and salamis 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I roast coriander seeds, then grind for sausages, or crack for Montreal Smoked Meat.

edit: I meant Indian/masala sausages.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    you can make pesto with the cilantro and compound butters with it, both freeze well. freezing just the leaves im thinking might turn it black like basil does
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    you can also make a big batch of guacamole with the leftover and freeze it, add tomatoes if you want them fresh after it thaws out. dont add tomatoes before freezing.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    So, does dried cilantro taste like powdered soap to 5% of the population?   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I've seen folks blending up herbs with some liquid (?) and them dumping the in ice cube trays to freeze.  Once frozen pop all the cubes into a zip lock bag and just grab one when you need "fresh" herbs for a recipe. 
    I suspect Mr. Google has information on it.
    LBGE/Maryland