Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: County and State Fairs In Your Region, Will They Be Happening?

dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,061
Attending Fairs has been a tradition for us during the later summer months.  This year, in SE Nebr., there are changes.  A few have been cancelled, a few will go on as normal, most seem to be going to a scaled back version, focused on 4-H and FFA activities.  Scaled back seems the most reasonable route from where I sit.
Wondering what others are seeing in their areas with Fair scheduling this year?  Being in a predominantly agricultural state, they are a big thing here for those doing the work that made the USA a great place.
I am not a farmer, more so it's a matter of respecting and admiring their work.  In my youth I also dated a gal in the FFA, learned much from that... actually she had been kicked out of FFA when we dated, but still, it counts.
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Not in Central Ca, feel bad but will fully support FFA without the fair
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Our Farmer's Market (25th Street, every Saturday morning thru the Summer) started up last weekend, which kinda surprised me.  If it were a requirement to wear masks, I'd have no problem going.  However our governor refuses to make it a requirement, he says "I trust the fine people of utard to do the right thing; a mandate isn't required".  He doesn't walk the streets much.  

There was a story out of Missouri that really struck me.  Two hairdressers in the same salon came to work sick, but did wear masks.  They worked on 140 patrons before they stopped/quarantined, and for once they were all contact-traced, and tested continuously.  None of them got sick, and that's a pretty in-close exchange, for 15 minutes or longer.  I didn't read whether they wore gloves, or changed them between customers.  140 is a statistically-relevent number.  

Haven't heard, one way or the other, about the Fairs here.  Good question.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    County fairs locally are not happening however the State Fair (held on the fairgrounds in Louisville-state covid hot spot) has been approved (scheduled for Aug 20-30) based on a plan submitted a few weeks ago.  Given the current trend here I would bet it will get shutdown.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Not exactly what you were asking about, but in the Tampa Bay area, this is our kind of county fair...

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    None for Texas

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Still waffling here for the State fair. My money's on a no. Don't see how it's possible to distance and make it worth it for anybody.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Most county fairs are canceled here 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Nope 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    County fair is rolling on here. I haven’t been this year so I don’t know what the restrictions are.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    State Fair is definitely a big deal in Minnesota and it is not being held this year. I can't say for sure all county fairs have been cancelled but would be surprised if they haven't. There have been events and pop-up events held this year with traditional state fair vendors selling their wares out of food trucks or pop-up stands.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited July 2020
    State Fair is definitely a big deal in Minnesota and it is not being held this year. I can't say for sure all county fairs have been cancelled but would be surprised if they haven't. There have been events and pop-up events held this year with traditional state fair vendors selling their wares out of food trucks or pop-up stands.
    One of the mini donut State Fair stands has been staked out in the Burnsville Menards parking lot for the last month. I've seen lines of people waiting on them. Good for them and Menards to work together. There is a Mexican food truck right behind them that has permanently parked at the liquor store. They're not associated with the State Fair but is some good grub. A perfect landing spot for anyone needing some booze, a 2x4, Mexican food, and donuts! I strange combination but I'm sure someone has made it happen!

I also read this:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I wonder if the Peter Anderson Art Festival will be held herE in November like usual. It is a pretty big deal locally with 140,000 people in a cramped down town area . So I don’t see how it could be safely held. That will be a big economical impact for the city and all of the regional artists. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    mass is pretty much shut down, maine still has fairs with just a few shut down now.  cant believe sturgis is on, thats a huge mistake
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Marion County (Indianapolis) had their county fair last week. Well, they tried anyways. It was canceled on day 2 after a shooting and 5 people getting shot.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    The Wisconsin state fair has been cancelled, along with about a 1/3 of the county fairs. Our 4H program is ran by the university of Wisconsin system, and our vindictive governor has ordered the university to not sanction any 4H actives at fairs that are taking place. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tons of festivals in New Orleans in the spring and fall.  Summer is too hot to do anything.   As far as I know, everything has been cancelled. 
    Tons of festivals in New Orleans in the spring and fall.  Summer is too hot to do anything.   As far as I know, everything has been cancelled. 

I heard the West Bank Puppet Love Festival was still a GO
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Carnival set up in a Walmart parking lot. Chattanooga. SMH
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I needed some window casing at Menards. I asked my wife if she wanted to go. I think I know why she wanted to go now!  =) She wanted some state fair bbq cheese curds!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    None in SoCal
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    ColtsFan said:
    Marion County (Indianapolis) had their county fair last week. Well, they tried anyways. It was canceled on day 2 after a shooting and 5 people getting shot.

Not to mention 100-150 hoodlums rushing the gate to get in. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)