Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My lump charcoal went out

Options
I am fairly new to smoking with a BGE. 
I was trying to smoke some salmon jerky at about 200 degrees. At 2:56 my temp was at 201 degrees. At 3:07 it had dropped to 179. I opened both vents all the way but it just kept dropping. 
I had to pull the salmon off and relight. 
To maintain the 200 degree temp I have both vents almost closed. I know “ airflow, airflow”
Any ideas???

Best Answers

Answers

• gwarshawsky
    Options
    Really?
    thanks for the info. 
    Sometimes I close the vents down and the temp keeps rising. This was maintaining the temp for almost four hours then it just started dropping. I opened both vents all the way but, alas no cigar. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Dondgc - is correct on the amount of lump.  It also helps using small pieces of leftover lump. You will occasionally have to add more fuel but it is doable, painful but doable.  I’ve run 24ish hrs @180ish on my large dehydrating peppers to see if I could. Now I know I can but prolly won’t again 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gwarshawsky
    Options
    Hey Mattman,
    thanks for your advice.