Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Dump

Options
JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
Have a question???  
When filling your BGE do you take into consideration the cook you are about to do?? or just dump some from a bag.  It is my understanding that when doing the LS you want it filled all the way so you get the long cook.  For quick hot searing of steaks maybe using less is better since you will get better airflow.  Just looking to see what people do in general when getting ready to fire one up.  I tend to over fill so the next cook I give it a quick stir, fire it up and the lump will come up to temp quicker and have very little "bad" smoke.
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Dump and light.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    If I need to add lump before a hot and fast, I don’t add much, just what I think is needed so I don’t lose too much lump in shutdown.  If pizza, and everything else, fill it up.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    only time my egg is not filled is cooking ribs directly over the fire on a raised grill. going for distance between fire and food
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I generally just add some lump to a chimney, light it and dump it in.  Seems to always stay about where I want it.

If Im doing multiple Pizzas or a Low and Slow I will add more to the egg and a full chimney worth.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Depends on what I am cooking. These Eggs are misers when it comes to Lump. L&S, all the way for butts and brisket, and always have plenty left over for other cooks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I generally fill to a little above the fire bowl no matter what. If I’m cooking brisket or butts I’ll fill up near the top of the fire ring. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I typically keep mine full and top it off before each cook. The exception being if I'm doing chicken direct. I'll use what's already in the egg. Chicken fat soaked lump is nasty
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    Generally dump and light, just dumping a bit less for a hot cook. Maybe a bit of better airflow, but also less that might burn up in the cool down. Longer cook, add more. The only part that's actually intentional is placing smoking wood for a longer cook. Otherwise dump and roll.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    If I am doing a low and slow, I'll try and get some big pieces to go on the bottom, but I don't get to OCD about it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95