Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
Well it has been awhile and SWMBO is wanting a brisket for the 4th. I picked up a 10lb. packer and was curious as to how long you fellas thought it would take to cook at 250°-275°. As always thanks for the help. 
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    It may take 8-9 hours! Put the rub on it the night before and put in the fridge covered until morning then ready the Smoker at 250 degrees and and put it on. Bring it to 160 degrees and then wrap it and poor in a Sprite or sevenUp and let it go to 205. If it feels mushy you're done. It can set in a cooler until dinner time if it gets done early!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    As stated above, at 250-275 it will take about an hour per pound or a little less if you are at the upper end of that range.

I've not heard of the use of Sprite for brisket.  That's interesting.  I usually go with just butcher paper after I'm happy with the bark - usually about 170F meat temp.

I think that with a brisket that size, if you want it for dinner I would start early in the morning and cook at 275-290.  If you want it for lunch, I would put it on about 10-12 the night before and cook it at 225-250 through the night and reassess about 6 AM... then crank up the temp if needed at that time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX