Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip cook

Options
Yesterday I was about 15 - 20 minutes into a tri-tip cook at 250 when I was called to a hospital emergency.  Didn’t temp the meat, but removed from egg to cool a bit and placed in a covered glass bowl to finish today.  Is this a doable plan?
LBGE St. Louis MO

Comments

• dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    I don't see any reason not to.   You are just taking some "rare" leftover beef and reheating it.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks. 

Google says never brown or partially cook meat or poultry to refrigerate and finish later because any bacteria present would not have been destroyed.  It is safe to partially cook meat and poultry in the microwave or on the stove only if the food is transferred immediately to the hot grill to finish cooking.

LBGE St. Louis MO
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    This is just my gut talking, but my best logic would tell me the hotter you cook throughout the second time, the less it matters. If you were to finish it to medium-rare, then maybe the inner bacteria had a chance to grow first cook and hasn't been killed now.  If you were to cook it to well done (and maybe there is no enjoyment left to be had) then possibly you are killing more that bacteria.

You could probably find a way to minimize the risk and optimize the flavor by doing something very different than you first intended, like slicing, marinading and then quickly cooking the slices. That way you get more direct heat (maybe some acid to help kill bacteria as well) on more surface area without feeling like you have to eat a plain, well done steak. 

All comes down to how risk averse you are feeling.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN