Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small tab on lower vent

Shoe
Shoe Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While assembling my 1st egg today I noticed that there is a small tap on the left side of the lower vent, about 1 cm square, that is bent outwards at about a 30 degree angle. The tab is on the vent frame, not the sliding door. With the sliding door completely shut, the tab would allow some minimum air flow into the egg.[p]Don't recall reading about this in the archives (but I'm only up to 2004 in my reading). Is this some sort of minimum air flow design, to ensure the fire keeps burning?

Comments

• Shoe,
    I think it's just a "stop." The door should be completely closed. There should be no gap at all. Maybe your "stop" needs a bit of adjusting if it's allowing any air flow. It has to be shut completely to allow the fire to choke itself out when you finish cooking.[p]Mike in MN

• 25nov06_2-018.jpg
    <p />Shoe,
    with the door shut, it should go in behind that tab and seal completely...

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Quick question..sorry for changing the subject but on that picture I see you have the new cover for the lower vent.
    My q is, does the new cover work with the bbq guru? I mean, do we have to remove it or does it work just the way it is?

• Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Thanks for posting the pic. I'll have to take a closer look at it in the daylight. I might have bent the tab a bit moving the assembled egg out of the kitchen onto the porch.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0870.jpg
    <p />Likefre,
    you just slide it out of the way and insert this part that comes with the Guru and then you snug it up. easy-peasy!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Likefre
    Likefre Posts: 12
    RRP,
    Thanks for the info!
    Mine did not come with the new cover...any reason why I should get it?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Likefre,
    for peace of mind if your BGE sits on a wooden table or deck. It's merely a spark arrester if embers might pop out. I retrofitted my vents with the screens I bought from Hotlanta for less than $10 each as I recall. This item became a really hot "must have" item after Nature Boy lost much of his home from this very potential fire hazard.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Likefre,
    It will work as is but mine i have to sort of push in against the door to get it around the guru

• Likefre
    Likefre Posts: 12
    ugavet,
    Thanks for the info..

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Likefre,[p]As RRP says, its good if you have a combustible surface near the Egg, or if you are accustomed to walking around in bare feet. I thought it was a great idea when I first heard about it (I'm a bare foot person) but I expect to be removing mine when I have the opportunity. That's because the screens do seem to make it a bit less easy to adjust the vents and control temps, and because I have a brick patio, a brick house, and I'd love to burn down my neighbors pile of brush and dead trees.
  • 14jan07-005.jpg
    <p />Likefre,
    the screen and door fit over the guru adapter nicely with a little pressure to "bend" the adapter in a bit while sliding the doors over the adapter plate and tight against the inlet tube.