Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT Tips, Please

I've decided to pull the trigger on a SMOBOT and would appreciate any pre-purchase tips users might have.  Does the wire bale handle have to be removed from the daisy wheel, as shown in the SMOBOT intro video?  Currently when the cook is over I put the daisy wheel in the egg and put the ceramic cap on - I assume this practice will no longer be possible.  When I look at the options for batteries on Amazon it's overwhelming.  Is there a favorite out there?  Most of the year I don't have to worry about rain, but for our short rainy season is there an optimum container for the electronics?

Many thanks!

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited June 2020
    I left my wire bale handle on, but you DO have to make sure its always laying opposite the servo/control arms, otherwise it could jam them.  
    Ironically it started threatening rain just this afternoon mid-cook.  I took my Smokeware cap and balanced it on top of the daisy wheel, and it protected the servo fine (not recommended if its breezy outside).  I had a plastic tub that I had bought some sliced turkey in, washed it up and cut a notch in the body for the wires.  Couldn't find it, of course, but since it was calm I just took a Tupperware bottom and set it inverted on top of the Controller/battery.  
    I bought the battery that was recommended, I believe in the SMOBOT instructions.  Damn thing doesn't have a brand name on it unless its "RoHS"; the label does say "Discover more at https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1224718/www.talentcell.com (<<<okay, the forum software just added the eggheadforum prefix!).  The Model number is YB1206000-USB.  It works fine.  I need to build a little caddie that will hold the battery, Controller, head unit (on wires for heat protection), the probes, and the charger, something to do this week.  

EDIT:  Wow, that's bizarre.  I clicked on the link the forum software filled in for me, and it took me right back to THIS thread. WTFF?  

Try it again:  http://www.talentcell.com/  The unit I got was the first one listed under "Hot Products".  You're Welcome!  

EDIT 2:  Here's a trick to shut the SMOBOT at the end of the cook, so you won't even need your ceramic cap (unless you leave your Egg outdoors all the time):  Turn the controller off, then turn it back on; as it "reboots" it cycles power to the servo, swinging thru Full Open, then Full Closed, then to the set temperature.  Just kill the power as it hits Full Closed, and your fire goes out!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Although I have had a couple of issues with mine Eric (the owner) has been great and the company is VERY responsive. I have an early model and had some probe issues but I understand the new probes are very robust. I have a set on the way. 

I will say that for my pit I need the bottom vent closed more than Smobot and members of this forum recommend. I guess I have a leaky egg. For most people the factory recommended settings seem to work fine. 

There is something beautiful in the simplicity of the Smobot. I hope you enjoy yours!
    New Orleans LA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I agree with @Dondgc if your are over shooting temps close the bottom vent down. Especially in windy conditions 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Thanks, everyone!

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR