Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron

Moleman
Moleman Posts: 372
As I often do I defer to the experts here, previously I’ve used perfectly fine cast iron on my outdoor crawfish boiler. I know that’s not the correct term but a single burner with high output for corn, oil, turkey, etc. and when I did it seemed as if the seasoning on my pan melted off. I didn’t end up using it that day. Well today I am going to sous vide sone gold grade from SRF and I want to use cast iron in my ooni 16 for the finish. I’m concerned to screw up another pan and more importantly don’t Want to ruin the steaks on the sear. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have burned the seasoning off pans using high output outdoor cooker as well.
    So far no issues using my Ooni Koda or 16” to cook/sear.
    Have also used products made by “The Oyster Bed”. These products are amazing in the 16”.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited June 2020
    I’m going to reveal a secret - those old thin steel “cowboy skillets”? They are great in a wood oven - probably be great on a Roccbox or other...
    They are thin and still cheap at flea markets/antique stores. I use them far more often than my CI or good CS in my wood oven. 

Internet image - too lazy to go get one of mine for a pick...
    you can burn the seasoning/reseason it in nothing flat. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    I appreciate the responses. More worried about ruining the beef than the skillet. Was afraid it could cause me an issue. As always this place is amazing. ThNk you.