Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pesto and Pasta - OT

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
OT because I didn’t make it on the egg. That said, I would have never been cooking this kind of meal without this forum and the inspiration and education I get here. Anyway - tonight’s cook...
I made some fresh pesto with basil grown 15 feet from my back door. 

Then I rolled some fresh pasta. 
My recipe has been modified. Now I suggest 75 grams AP flour + 25 grams semolina flour + 1 egg. When mixing it might require a spritz or two of water to make if nice and soft. This is easily enough pasta for two people. 

While the pasta water was coming to a boil I blistered a few cherry tomatoes and then crisped up a zucchini. I had some chicken I threw in and heated at the end. Pasta was tossed with pesto and veggies and a splash of pasta water. Some cheese was crumbled on at the end. It is supposed to be goat cheese, but I had queso fresco so that’s what I used. Goat cheese would have been better...

This was pretty good y’all. Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Outstanding as always

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SciAggie
    Outstanding as always
    Thanks. The plated dish isn’t real attractive but the fresh ingredients made a difference. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That looks wonderful!
    Stillwater, MN
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    edited June 2020
    The pasta recipe I use is:

flour = weight of eggs X 1.5

For the flour, I do half and half semolina and 00 flour.

ex: if your egg is 50 grams then you use 75 grams of flour (37.5 semolina / 37.5 00)

The rest time in the fridge depends on the type of 00 flour but an hour is usually enough.

paqman said:
    The pasta recipe I use is:
    Mo
    flour = weight of eggs X 1.5

For the flour, I do half and half semolina and 00 flour.

ex: if your egg is 50 grams then you use 75 grams of flour (37.5 semolina / 37.5 00)

The rest time in the fridge depends on the type of 00 flour but an hour is usually enough.
    I may bump up the semolina a bit. I like the texture it adds to the pasta. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Lovely dish.

Blistered tomatoes are a game changer in a pasta.

They make their own sauce for a super yummy and light pasta dish.

When we were in Italy a couple years ago, I noticed how often zucchini is used in pasta. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    I would crush a bowl of that.  Great cook and write-up, as always.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Nice. I make a similar dish, but sprinkle some garlic salt on the chicken and grill on the egg before shredding and adding to the pasta/pesto combination...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    There are a few people here that make me jealous with EVERY post they make. Mad skills on all levels 👍
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's a wonderful looking dish.

Taking notes re: your pasta dough mods. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    @ColtsFan Thanks for the kind words. I do my best just to drill down to the basics. I appreciate the encouragement. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    caliking said:
    That's a wonderful looking dish.

Taking notes re: your pasta dough mods. 
    Yeah the semolina is a great addition. It gives a bit of chew that you don’t get from just flour. I like @paqman recipe too. I may ease up to 50% semolina and see how I like it. I am convinced that with egg pasta - particularly if there is semolina flour in it - it’s ok to add a spritz of water to get the consistency you want in the dough. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Tried AP 50% + semolina 25% + tipo 00 25%+ eggs ,  per your recs (I think) , and really liked it. 

Caliprince really likes a burst tomato sauce, so here are the pics to prove it happened :) 

Thanks again. I’ve made pasta from scratch the last several times, entirely inspired by you!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
  • SciAggie
    @caliking I’m happy to give back to this forum in some small way. Handmade pasta (on a small scale) isn’t hard. I like the simple recipe. I can remember it and just grab the ingredients and make pasta... No fussing around. My wife strongly prefers it to dried pasta now. 
    Your tomato sauce looks particularly good. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    You’ve definitely helped me up my pasta game :) In a pinch, I can get  a sauce and pasta on the table in just under 2 hrs. So worth it!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks killer. My wife has been making a ton of pesto from the basil we grew this year. Amazing how much pesto you get from one plant (we have 5). Pasta looks good but we've been doing zuke noodles due to her dieting and me limiting carbs being diabetic and all. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    SciAggie said:
    Outstanding as always
    Thanks. The plated dish isn’t real attractive but the fresh ingredients made a difference. 
    I almost had to hit the "Disagree" button...

I'd hit that all night long.

Then move on to @caliking's contribution.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX