Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huge Rock - Simple Truth by Kroger Lump Charcoal

Options
I work for Kroger and because of this, I have used this store brand of charcoal many times now. It's usually very consistent with maybe a few rocks (like I've seen in many other brands also). Today, I was shaking out some charcoal into the Egg and I couldn't get past what felt like a huge piece. I sat the bag down and looked inside and saw the biggest rock I've ever seen. The quality control on this batch must be nonexistent. Has anyone else seen a rock this large in their bag? 

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Wow. That is quite the rock. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Found a nearly whole brick in a bag of KJ lump once. It happens.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,475
    Options
    Would've been interesting if you had weighed the bag (was it really 20 lbs, or whatever) and how much the rock weighed.
    And, no, I don't pre-weigh my unopened lump bags, either.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Wolfeman
    Wolfeman Posts: 18
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I just weighed the rock on my food scale and it weighs 1870g. So, just over 4lbs!
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Maybe they need to change the claim on the bag to “80% Natural Hardwood”? 😉
    New Orleans LA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    They don't call it Rockwood for nothing....

JK. Never seen one that big before. I have found insulation and metal strapping before in Royal Oak and because of that I never use anything but Rockwood. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    So you got stoned?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Looks a chunk of a kiln, not a rock.  It happens.
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    You’ve got to appreciate a seller coming to the defense of a competing brand.  One of several reasons I use only Rockwood. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I was told a few years that Simple Truth is a private label brand packaged by RO.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    You’ve got to appreciate a seller coming to the defense of a competing brand.  One of several reasons I use only Rockwood. 
    We've had pieces bigger than that show up in our bags, but our bags are filled by weight and volume.  So when the scale shuts off and 20.4#, and it looks low, they'll just sweep another handful in.  I've grabbed bags in the warehouse and felt they were too heavy--like 24-25#--took them home with me and yeah, big rock......but there was still 20# of charcoal in there.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Wolfeman said:
    I just weighed the rock on my food scale and it weighs 1870g. So, just over 4lbs!
    You win!  My largest weighed in at 1 pound 3 ounces.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    looks like you have 1st place in the largest moon rock so far this year.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    Found a lump of what look like coal slightly thicker and not as long as that one .  In Royal Oak 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??