Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking on Father's Day?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    1) Thanks @YukonRon for the kind comments.

2) Thanks @loco_engr for those links.  I had done a search and found a few myself, but nothing that convinced me which way to go on the cook.  I'm still undecided - I'll probably just see whether I'm feeling like a pot roast or like I want some sliced roast beef cooked medium rare when I wake up this weekend.

3) As for the "best beer for yardwork on a hot summer day" discussion - Shiner Ruby Red is a great choice but don't rule out a watermelon beer.  New Belgium makes one - as does Boston Beer Works and its derivatives like Hingham Beer Works (not sure if that is an option right now).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Wife refuses to do anything. She wanted to stay indoors because of covid on mother's day. Thinks I should do the same. I will not, I'll go out by myself if I have to
    Whatever you do, just be careful. We don't want anyone to mess with the virus.

Take care, stay safe, stay well. We need you too.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Short Rib Tacos & some ipa's!  B)
  • YukonRon
    Short Rib Tacos & some ipa's!  B)
    Digging the menu. I will take a dozen please.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Steaks, ribs, and a chuck roast. Three days, three meats. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • YukonRon
    Teefus said:
    Steaks, ribs, and a chuck roast. Three days, three meats. 
    Clog my arteries! I AM IN!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • attaboy
    attaboy Posts: 30
    3 racks of ribs, potato salad and baked beans......hope somebody brings some dessert!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Foghorn Shiner is always a good choice. Austin Texas Honey Cider is a good beer when you are hot and dripping sweat. I’ll often have one - then switch to my regular drink after that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    SciAggie said:
    @Foghorn Shiner is always a good choice. Austin Texas Honey Cider is a good beer when you are hot and dripping sweat. I’ll often have one - then switch to my regular drink after that. 
    Try this if you can find it.  Epic brewery.  Very refreshing.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Babybacks tomorrow on the Large at the lake house with my parents. Hotdogs and chili late Sunday afternoon at my brothers house after swimming with my kids and the niece and nephews. 
  • YukonRon
    Legume said:
    SciAggie said:
    Try this if you can find it.  Epic brewery.  Very refreshing.

Suzy and I had a blood orange cider (9%?) When we went to Disney World a couple years ago. That stuff was rocking.

We sat at a table, played a drinking game. Every child having a nuclear meltdown, we took a drink. Every parent going China Syndrome, we took two. Circle spanks of the children ....bottoms up. 

20 minutes. 3 pints. Hammered.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    attaboy said:
    3 racks of ribs, potato salad and baked beans......hope somebody brings some dessert!
    Attaboy!

Ribs are my fave.....post that cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Bought some beef ribs from a local butcher,
    today. Looking forward to it 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YukonRon
    Beef ribs are the best ever. @lousubcap will back me on this.

Have a great father's day.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    All I can say is that beef ribs beat their pork cousins every time.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Well, so much for the prime rib roast. I had ordered 2 boneless roasts because they were out of the bone in roasts.

Not thrilled about that. But, ok I get it.

The first shipment from SRF arrived, bottom of box opened contents thawed, no paperwork, cryovac marginalized/scuffed. 

Not thrilled about that.

Called customer service sent pics, they agreed to reship over night. Got it. Only one.

Not thrilled about that.

Called our guests and cancelled the dinner.

Then I thought about it, and remembered I had just busted the Bogo for BBs, having plenty for such a gathering. Called them all back, asked if BBs would suffice, dinner is back on...

Worked out. Not exactly the way I wanted it to, but hey, it is more about getting together than a menu.

That is my rationalization. I am sticking with it.

Happy Father's Day.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Doing those creekstone beef ribs
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    thetrim said:
    Doing those creekstone beef ribs
    Very curious how they turn out. Let me know?

Happy Father's Day.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Just picked up some awesome looking baby backs a jar of  peach preserve. Will be following the Ron recipe... Can’t wait..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    Just picked up some awesome looking baby backs a jar of  peach preserve. Will be following the Ron recipe... Can’t wait..
    Good luck....they have always been a favorite around here. Doing the same. 

Have fun. Let me know how they work out for you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Pork loin roast that I have had in @ClayQ's sugar and canning salt brine since yesterday. Then dusting with DP Raging River and after cooking I'll slice it thin and drizzle the slices with warmed Blue Hog's Tennessee Red as a finishing sauce. Also an acorn squash with butter, maple syrup and chopped pecans!

This meal rocks our boat every time!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    RRP said:
    Pork loin roast that I have had in @ClayQ's sugar and canning salt brine since yesterday. Then dusting with DP Raging River and after cooking I'll slice it thin and drizzle the slices with warmed Blue Hog's Tennessee Red as a finishing sauce. Also an acorn squash with butter, maple syrup and chopped pecans!

This meal rocks our boat every time!
    Can't soeak for others. But it rocks mine....
    Hapoy Father's Day...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’m just posting to make Ron reply more.

had the wings last night.  Ribs going on now, so tomorrow?  Need to visit the freezer.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I said I was making pulled beef but forgot I'm at the fields watching softball all weekend. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    Legume said:
    I’m just posting to make Ron reply more.

had the wings last night.  Ribs going on now, so tomorrow?  Need to visit the freezer.
    Did wings last night as well. Our children demolished them.

My Beautiful Wife and I ended up doing rigatoni  with a parm, romano, asiago cream sauce, with peach smoked sausage and spinach.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Ribeyes and baked potatoes with homemade key lime pie to finish it off. Pix will follow somewhere.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YukonRon
    Way to go Northface and REI!

Happy Father's Day everyone.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I am planning on doing some Korean chicken skewers on choripdong flatbread.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Chuck short ribs and wangz are on the menu today.

Happy Father’s Day to all the great dads out there, enjoy your day! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Happy Fathers Day Ron and all. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow