Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly is like jerky ... any help???

I cured two pieces (one dry and one wet) of a pork belly last week and smoked them low and slow to 155 degrees yesterday.  Taste is great but the wet cured meat is like jerky.  I cooked the slices in the microwave to obtain the crispiness without all of the grease.  Does anyone out there have any idea of where I went wrong or have any tips on how to avoid the tough result.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    @lkapigian @Sea2Ski any thoughts?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    my thought is @ 155 is going to be way tough no matter ( the dry cured may have gave it up early ). I am assuming this was skin on and that is why you microwaved? Probe till no resistance ...My 2 Cents 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    lkapigian said:
    my thought is @ 155 is going to be way tough no matter ( the dry cured may have gave it up early ). I am assuming this was skin on and that is why you microwaved? Probe till no resistance ...My 2 Cents 

Ruhlman only has you smoke until 155F after curing bacon.  Why is this different?  Looking for an education.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lkapigian
    edited June 2020
    johnnyp said:
    lkapigian said:

Ruhlman only has you smoke until 155F after curing bacon.  Why is this different?  Looking for an education.
    You are correct , I assumed he was doing Pork Belly for Eating not for Bacon, my bad.....

If this was a Bacon Cure , I only cold smoke and never had an issue with tough bacon no matter . I always do Equalization Cure so it is never over cured ,

Can you give your cure recipe 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I’d be curious to see the recipe too. Like @lkapigian I only cold smoke my bacon. With a wet cure I usually start at a min. 14 days cure time
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I will go ahead and blame the microwave portion of your preparation.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I wonder if an instapot could help rescue it????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    thetrim said:
    I wonder if an instapot could help rescue it????
    I was going to say that, honest, but didn’t want to stir the pot (no pun intended) 😀
    canuckland
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Sorry for the delay here. First time on since Sat morning.

First question I have is what was @strumme trying to make?  I think bacon because he mentions cure, but I am not sure. I think we have to know what the goal was before we can offer any advice. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • sturmme
    sturmme Posts: 4
    I was trying to make bacon.  Watched lots of videos and thought I would try both wet and dry.  Maybe the microwave was the mistake.  I have some of both left in the freezer so I can try frying next time.  I'll post the results.
  • I’m thinking the micro I’m thinking the microwave is your issue here.  I don’t like hot smoked bacon as much as cold. It can be a little tougher. That combine with the number may be your issue. Throw a slice in the oven on a Sheet lined with foil (That keeps the mess down)  at 350 and see how that does for you. I only cook bacon in the oven. It’s way better than pan fried 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sturmme
    Thanks for the reply ... I'll give that a try.  I think you are right.
  • sturmme
    A few people mentioned that they would like to see the recipe.  I tried dry brining with only salt and wet brining as described in this Amazing Ribs video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHOwK6u2Qdg
    Of course I cooked on my large BGE but the process is pretty much what I did.
  • lkapigian
    That is cured and then Hot Smoked ( I prefer cold smoking ), If you  eat after just Hot Smoking, it is safe,but not ready to eat,still needs to be fried...If you tried it just after the Hot Smoke,it would be chewy....I am starting 20 Pounds of Belly later today ( Cured for Bacon and Pancetta ) I will post what I do and maybe give you some ideas  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian