Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Adding a gasser or pellet grill OT

I need to add a gasser or pellet grill to the mix. The wife is over firing up an XL for quick weeknight cooks. I’m looking to be in the $1500 neighborhood or less. Priorities are ease of use/startup, weeknight cooks and adding to my current egg capacity. What are you all cooking on that I should be looking at? I’m just not familiar with the gas grill market after neglecting it for so many years. The only pellet cooker I’ve looked at with any seriousness are the Yoders and they seem to have great direct grilling capability, especially for a pellet rig. 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Don’t have one but word of mouth is strong for these:

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/welcome

Greensboro, NC
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523
    I dont want anything to do with either of these but I dont think you can go wrong with a Weber. Had charcoal grilles and still have a WSM. They have been great!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Why not a medium Egg? I used one for 11 years and it heated up pretty fast.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2020
    Weber genesis II 3burner would be what I would get if I wanted gas and it’s about half what you want to spend and I believe still made in America.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Scratch that new ones are made in China. Only ones made in America now are the summits.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Hilton
    Hilton Posts: 41
    Is it just the two of you? If so grab a medium egg. I just got one as an addition to my large and it’s now my most used egg. Gets up to temp super quick and is perfect for quick weeknight meals. I have considered a gas grill and was looking at the Napoleon Prestige Pro 500.  I think most grills like that require two power outlets (and gas) and that’s just a turn off to me. I’d rather just light the coals and do some food prep for 20 min while it gets up to temp.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I definitely feel you on the weeknight cooks. I have a Weber Genesis that's more than a few years old and it complements the BGE quite well. I have no experience with pellet grill so no help there. The Napoleon grills also seem quite nice and if I was in the market those are the two brands I'd be looking at.
    Stillwater, MN
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Thanks all. Another egg is a no go. I’ve pitched that idea many times and it’s to the point where the wife just ain’t buying. I travel a lot (when the world is normal) so she’s on her own at least a few days, almost every week. It’s not just startup time, it cleaning ash, loading lump, smelling like a charcoal grill after cooking, etc. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I definitely feel you on the weeknight cooks. I have a Weber Genesis that's more than a few years old and it complements the BGE quite well. I have no experience with pellet grill so no help there. The Napoleon grills also seem quite nice and if I was in the market those are the two brands I'd be looking at.
    Plus one to this.  I have a Genesis that’s pushing 10 and it is still a beast, and still gets used more than the egg.  

I’d also recommend getting a side burner, I use mine a bunch for bacon/duck/scallops, things that may otherwise make a mess on the stove.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Look at Yoder 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    CornfedMA said:
    ........ It’s not just startup time, it cleaning ash, loading lump, smelling like a charcoal grill after cooking, etc. 
    Doesn’t that eliminate a pellet grill?   Sounds like a gasser is needed. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Gasser was a must have to go with my XL. Bought a built in Blaze Pro 3 burner, also installed a side burner. It’s too easy to light and be cooking in under 15 minutes on a late weeknight. Also, my wife can use it with zero assistance from me
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    I completely endorse a Weber gasser.  Some three decades (yup-old here) ago SWMBO asked if I wanted a gasser as I was hard over Weber and charcoal.  I told her that when I couldn't handle that then I will cave to a gasser.  Some six months on (no input here) up pops a Weber gasser.  F me!   Fortunately I saw the BGE light a few years after that.
    That thing was a tank-survived many moves including overseas and I finally gave it to a friend after around 20 years of service and is still going strong.  .  Only needed new flavorizer bars around every 5-6 years. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    36" Blackstone Griddle.  Not a grill per say, but a great addition and works well for weeknight cooks. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I am very strongly still considering a Blackstone, even though I don't have a good spot for it. The 22-inch is very tempting. I would definitely consider something like that in the mix if also considering a gasser.
    Stillwater, MN
  • I’ve had a 3-burner Weber Genesis for about 5 years now and it’s great. (Have has it for much longer than my large egg actually.) It’s nice to have something for those nights when you want a quick start and easy cleanup. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited June 2020
    You might take a look at MHP gas grills. They are built very well. They also are built in the USA. Just be sure to get a upper end model that is all 304 stainless for the side shelves, the cast Aluminium body is very heavy duty. These grills are in the $1000 to $1200 range.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Why not ask your wife to pick out her new cooker?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Just keep the XL lit. Feed it like a furnace, choke it down at night. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    I just bought a Cuisinart Twin Oaks grill to complement the large BGE and Blackstone 36" and Weber kettle I run normally. It is replacing an older gasser that was not worth repairing and was just sitting holding stuff for the other cookers. My Mom wanted something she could fire up without me there(I live in a townhouse where grills are not allowed). And I had been wanting a pellet grill already to add to the arsenal. I bought this Twin Oaks combo unit that has a pellet cooker and a gas grill and even a side burner built into the same chassis. It is only in the $600 range, but so far I like it. Pellet smoker really dials in to temps tightly after a couple cycles. It is insulated well around the lid.  Gas grill could have more power but it works well. 3 burners with a griddle top included. That is easy for Mom to use and she did cook steaks on it this week. I like the idea but would be willing to pay more for better quality. We will see how long this will last.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • CornfedMA
    Why not ask your wife to pick out her new cooker?
    I could. I could also use a pile of money to light my XL. We’ve got a good thing going, she minds her department(s) and I mind mine. Outdoor cooking apparatus is my department. She doesn’t care how the sausage is made, she just wants both of us to be happy with the result. 
  • CornfedMA
    @stlcharcoal would be the primary beneficiary in that scenario. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    CornfedMA said:
    @stlcharcoal would be the primary beneficiary in that scenario. 
    Yes yes yes......I need a bigger boat.