Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Anyone here own a Border Terrier? OT

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
Our little buddy of 12 years passed not long ago. We are interested in a Border Terrier. I’d like to visit with someone who has one and have a conversation about temperament, shedding, health issues, etc. 
A random question I know, but we have a diverse group here.
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• SciAggie
    Options
    I have no idea why this posted twice...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    All I have heard about them from friends in South Africa is they are highly intelligent and used over there as sheep dogs, high energy and awesome dogs
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Oh sorry I read wrong my bad... border terrier I was thinking border collie
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Oh sorry I read wrong my bad... border terrier I was thinking border collie
    Me too. I have had border collies before. They are great farm and ranch dogs. Not familiar with the terrier. Wonder if it’s the same dog just different nomenclature?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    A little googling reveals that they are indeed different dogs. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    When I was a kid my dad raised Border Collies. I’ve seen him handle a lot of sheep with them. They are indeed good dogs. They are WAY to high energy for what I need at this time in my life. 
    I remember my dad sold one of his collies to a man that lived about thirty miles from our home. 
    The dog left the new owner and traveled back to our house. They had to pen the dog at the new owner’s until it bonded with him. They are smart and tireless and loyal. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Had to google it. This is the first thing that popped up. Looks like a fun little buddy! 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Was Verdell in "As Good as it Gets" a border terrier? I think he was. Cute dogs but Ive never been around one enough to be of help. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My Mom had them for years.  Affectionate, happy & plucky are pretty accurate adjectives.  I don’t recall a lot of shedding.  Their outer coat can get a bit course, so you get them groomed.  They “pluck” the dog.  I don’t know how that’s done or anything, but that’s what my Mom and sister (a veterinarian) said.  Afterward their coats are very soft.  Good dogs and good companions.  I recommend them.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker There’s a guy I follow on IG that has one and the dog is hilarious. I’ve done a fair amount of googling about them but I’m always suspicious. Every breeder will say they are the greatest animals on the planet and they raise the best ones...
    Thought I’d see what experiences folks here have had with them. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    My Mom had them for years.  Affectionate, happy & plucky are pretty accurate adjectives.  I don’t recall a lot of shedding.  Their outer coat can get a bit course, so you get them groomed.  They “pluck” the dog.  I don’t know how that’s done or anything, but that’s what my Mom and sister (a veterinarian) said.  Afterward their coats are very soft.  Good dogs and good companions.  I recommend them.
    Thanks for the information. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon