Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometers differ quite a bit. Is it the placement? Driving me nuts

So I use a Thermoworks "DOT" to detect the internal temp of the egg while cooking. I place it on the grate right next to the meat. I also have the analog dome antenna that comes with the egg. The difference between the two is usually off by 20+ sometimes 30+ degrees. The analog dome on the lid is always higher. Does anyone else have this issue? Is this normal since the two thermometers are in totally different areas of the egg? Even so I wouldn't think the difference would be that much. I did the water boil test to calibrate all my thermometers and all read 212 degrees in boiling water so it's appearing that the probes are not defective. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Dome is always going to be higher than grate level. Always 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    edited June 2020
    Don’t bug out it’s normal to have a temp difference. Grate temp is overrated and not used as much as dome. When I use my controller I just pull the factory thermo out and put the pit probe in the hole and rock on. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    so for starters.  take the thermo out the egg.  CLEAN IT carefully.   Then place it in boiling water and compare it to another thermo.  In ohio 210 degrees is boiling.   then place it into an ice bath should be 32 degrees.  you can turn the nut on the thermo back side to calibrate it.  then retest comparing it to the other.  This should help.  It helped me dial mine in a whole lot closer.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    It’s totally normal. Choose one and ignore the other. The other option is to keep looking at both and drive yourself crazy. I’ve been there. Now I ignore the dome and use my Smobot thermo on the grate.  
    New Orleans LA
  • mglanzro
    mglanzro Posts: 12
    jdMyers said:
    so for starters.  take the thermo out the egg.  CLEAN IT carefully.   Then place it in boiling water and compare it to another thermo.  In ohio 210 degrees is boiling.   then place it into an ice bath should be 32 degrees.  you can turn the nut on the thermo back side to calibrate it.  then retest comparing it to the other.  This should help.  It helped me dial mine in a whole lot closer.
    Yup. I did all that and I'm all dialed in. But thank you for the recommendation. 
  • mglanzro
    So if using a digital probe, where is the best place to place it? I have one of those clamps that go on the grate but from what I'm hearing the grate is not an accurate position.
  • mglanzro
    Dobie said:
    Don’t bug out it’s normal to have a temp difference. Grate temp is overrated and not used as much as dome. When I use my controller I just pull the factory thermo out and put the pit probe in the hole and rock on. 
    When you say "Pit Probe", is that a brand name or are you just referring to any digital thermo that fits in the analog hole?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    It’s any probe used to just monitor pit temp. My controller is a CyberQ but that doesn’t really matter. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Does anyone else have this issue?   Common issue

Is this normal since the two thermometers are in totally different areas of the egg?   Yes

Even so I wouldn't think the difference would be that much. Think again.

I did the water boil test to calibrate all my thermometers and all read 212 degrees in boiling water so it's appearing that the probes are not defective. Any ideas?  Use dome location its more stable

So if using a digital probe, where is the best place to place it?  In the dome

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Mines always Spot On 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    You have just encountered information overload. Calibrate the dome thermo, toss the wires and carry on.  This will make your time with the egg so much more enjoyable.  

So much this.
    NOLA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    There is so much at play in the egg (infrared radiation from the lump, direct contact with the grate, air temperature within the egg, convection).  Just stick with one reference and you’ll get consistent results.

The variance is normal. On a long cook they will come closer.  Just use the dome temp and enjoy....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    One caveat to this:  

If you put a big hunk of cold meat on in a position near the dome thermometer (think two briskets on 2 levels such that the top one is raised up near the thermometer), the dome will read quite low for a while.  As the meat heats up and shrinks the temp will become more accurate.  The key is to just know this and to know your egg so that it is stabilized with the vents set properly for your desired cooking temp before you put the meat on - and then ignore the thermometer reading. 
    If you can't do that, then use a grate thermometer placed about an inch from the meat and in the silhouette of your platesetter/drip pan (to avoid direct rising heat).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Exact temperatures aren't an issue. I set the vents how I think they should be and then trim after if needed. I just use dome temp, then the cooking result is always consistent with the temperature. Pick one temperature measurement point to use and stick with it, all your experience is then calibrated to that point.
  • mglanzro
    Thanks everyone, so far for the responses.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Related, as a matter of routine if cook temperatures are mentioned here without a modifier it is a dome temperature as that is the one thermo all BGE's have.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.