Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL Firebowl Issues; Kick Ash Basket

Options
I bought the BGE firebowl recently and after a few cooks it changed shape and warped causing the handles to fall out easily and the divider to not fit.  The dealer replaced it.  However, I Had already ordered the Kick Ash Basket as a replacement, so now I will have both with it comes in. 

Does anyone have the BGE firebowl for the XL that does not have this problem I described?  I am kind of leaning towards the Kick Ash Basket but I’ve also heard problems with that, causing cracks in the BGE...

Comments

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    A basket will not cause cracks. Who told you that?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Don't believe that crap......kick ash basket causes cracks so we came up with a basket that doesn't?  Just like how the smokeware cap caused non-natural airflow or some other BS.  
  • fizzarley
    fizzarley Posts: 5
    Options
    I’ve seen it discussed multiple times on this forum and on FB groups.  Not saying it’s true but people have mentioned the KAB May cause cracks in the firebox.  You can search in here and see those convos.   Are you both KAB owners?  I’m leaning that way anyway. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    The internet can be a dangerous place. I'd put the KAB causing cracks in the fake news pile.
    Stillwater, MN
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have KABs in my eggs. For one of my warranty replacements of my firebox my dealer said their distributor wanted to know if I had been using a KAB. I said yes, and still got another firebox from my awesome dealer. A few visits later they were selling KABs too. I vote for using them and would t worry about the hype that they could cause issue. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Years ago somebody got a crack in a base after they put a KAB in it, so they posted the KAB caused it......because there's just no way a base could have cracked on its own, right?  Fireboxes crack, the fire ring cracks, and the lower fire grate cracks.   It's heat and ceramic, it happens.  If this was a pandemic, you would have seen a warning come out from BGE saying "DO NOT USE the KAB in the BGE."  But instead, they came out with their own basket......that should tell you something. 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I'd love to hear their explanation of the science behind a KAB causing the firebox to crack vs just stacking charcoal in the firebox, OR using their basket.  How in the name of all that is good and holy would they explain that?