Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on Rutland install

Options
Just finished a new Rutland install. Some thoughts:

1 - Ron’s directions are solid

2 - the 3m paint removal wheel is your friend. You will need no other. 

3 - definitely Mark the gasket in quarters or you will be lost. I also marked my Egg rim for easy reference 

4 - wear gloves. I had a box handy but I should have just tripled-up in the beginning.

5 - cover or remove anything you don’t want permatex on. It managed to appear on a few surfaces I did not expect, especially the table top (because that’s where I was setting things and although I thought I was careful I wasn’t careful enough). If you have a nice table top be extra careful. 

6 - I definitely had a lot of bleed through in the gasket. Hopefully that’s not going to be an issue. 

Curing now with foil on top and lid closed. Hoping for a low and slow this weekend to see if a decent gasket helps my Smobot keep things under control better. I suspect it will. 

New Orleans LA

Comments

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Dondgc said:

6 - I definitely had a lot of bleed through in the gasket. Hopefully that’s not going to be an issue. 

That's expected, and is not a problem at all.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you don’t have bleed through you’ll get asked why...

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If you don’t have bleed through you’ll get asked why...

Always seemed to me more like a scolding on how it wasn't done properly if there is no bleed thru.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    I need to order from @RRP.....I want a xl, large x3, medium, small, minimax, and mini...neighbors are in for 2 larges... 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Must be done correctly, but it's not a swiss watch or a moon landing.  Open a beer and act carefully.  And yes, @RRP's directions are excellent and the gasket is a winner.  Never have understood how this is even a question.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I did say that I needed nothing but the paint removal wheel to get the old gasket off. That’s not accurate. First I used a razor scraper from Ace to get the remaining felt off. After that I only used the 3M wheel - no pumice, no chemicals. 
    New Orleans LA