Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp for frying bacon

2»

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am an oven convert as well. Sheet pan with a wire rack, spray with pam and 375 until done. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    JRWhitee said:
    I am an oven convert as well. Sheet pan with a wire rack, spray with pam and 375 until done. 
    Ditto
    New Orleans LA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Looks like I will have to figure out how to turn my oven on and try that sometime.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Just need to make a sheet pan that'll fit an entire pound at once. 
    I buy bacon in a 1.5 pound package, so I use two pans, one on each rack in the oven. I look at it and when I think it's around halfway done I swap the pans to put the low one on the higher rack and vice versa. Works well for me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    Put in cool oven or preheated?
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Another fan of baking on the oven.  Foil lined sheet pan, 375 in convection mode.  No rack, flip after about ten minutes.  Done in the 15 minute range, but it can vary depending on the bacon. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Ike said:
    Put in cool oven or preheated?

Doesn't matter, but I don't bother to preheat. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Dammit, now I have to go cook some bacon.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Oven at 375 as well. 

Many times it's for breakfast.  With French toast and eggs being done on the stove top, bacon is out of the way, plus you can fit way more on a baking sheet! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Preheated griddle to 200, placed bacon.  See how this works.  Next time I will do it from cold and spread bacon a bit further.

I have decided bacon will be my Everest.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I go 375 on the Traeger. We call it Traeger Bacon.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    shtgunal3 said:
    So if you do that on the BGE, is it called egg bacon or green egg bacon?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Legume said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    So if you do that on the BGE, is it called egg bacon or green egg bacon?
    Yes

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    caliking said:
    johnnyp said:
    buzd504 said:
    U_tarded said:
    I wrap a sheet pan in foil and into the oven about 400 for like 15 mins.  No fuss easy clean up. 
    I’m an oven convert too. I put it on a bakers rack, which keeps it out of the fat and let’s both sides cook. 
    Lightly coat the slices in flour on both sides before you do this next time. Cool texture enhancer. 
    Hold on a minit... This sounds like something I'll definitely like =)

Light dredging in AP, or dust with cornstarch?
    Sorry for the delay, must have missed the comment a few days back.

Dredge in AP, but if you try cornstarch let me know how you like it.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I cook it on the grills all the time. Keep it down around 350 or even lower if patient and you get great results. Right on the grids or on a drying rack over a baking sheet. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2020
    I rarely "fry" bacon anymore. 
    9x out of 10 I'll use convection baking 375F-420F (depending on thickness) on a wire baking rack elevated over a sheet pan lined with parchment or foil to catch the grease. I normally will go 15 minutes and then give each strip a quick flip and go another 15. Once I'm done I have also been capturing the rendered Bacon fat to use in recipes at a later time. I find that my bacon is consistently perfect doing it this way every time.

You can also do close to the same thing in the egg on a half sheet or quarter sheet wire rack over the grid indirect of course but in this instance I don't even worried about trying to catch the grease drippings.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Been a few weeks since I cooked bacon!  Cannot believe I waited so long.  Tried straight from cold (measured start temp of top at 100).  Absolute gamechanger.  Bacon was perfectly flat, great for BLTs, but rendered perfect too.  Phenomenal way to cook.

Only issue was the presentation.  Just doesn't look as good as curly edged bacon, but worth it for taste and sandwich making.