Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Hinges, Nut Caps Fragile?

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
Installed the new style hinges on my large a few months back.  There are a number of nuts that have a cap on one end.  Heavy T-storms the past couple nights so I decided to give the Egg a wipe down while it was wet.  Two of these nut caps popped off by being lightly brushed by my wipe down towel.  Anyone else had this happen?  I get they are probably just cosmetic items but it's disappointing.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    No.  That seems strange.
    NOLA
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Dodgy nut with some flashing or debris in the cap, tightening it up could have popped the cap?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    I have one like that on the XL.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Not sure what explains those caps, but my guess is they were cheap crap!. My advice is spend a few more coins and go to a good hardware store and buy “acorn nuts”. You can buy stainless steel and even brass ones. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I have one like that on the XL.
    #metoo
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mine have held up since the purchase. Just might be one of the few things i have not replaced. 
    I replaced the lid due to the grate exploding during warm up, (replaced the fire grate too) the plate setter, the base that cracked, and the thermometer, on my XL.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You need some new ones?  Got a jar of them, just PM me your address and I'll send you two.  There's always a few extras in each bge assembly kit.

Yes they are cheap crap, but thats at least where you want the weak point......not the cinch bolt or the banding.  If anything is gonna break, let it be the easiest to replace.  

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    You need some new ones?  Got a jar of them, just PM me your address and I'll send you two.  There's always a few extras in each bge assembly kit.

Yes they are cheap crap, but thats at least where you want the weak point......not the cinch bolt or the banding.  If anything is gonna break, let it be the easiest to replace.  

Wow!  Generous offer, PM sent.  Thank you!  Gives me one more reason to buy your excellent charcoal.  Although no more reasons are needed, the product speaks for itself.
    As regards "extras" in the assembly kit, mine did include one extra nut and one extra stud.  Unfortunately the nut is unusable due to the threads not cleanly cut.  The threads also came with corrosion on them, somewhat the color of the patina you see on copper.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Alright, who has brass nuts?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Legume said:
    Alright, who has brass nuts?
    ACE!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.