Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt inject and rub?

I’ve got some leftover meat church pork injection and a nice butt in the freezer. I typically just rub and slather with mustard but curious if I can inject and rub or if that would be too much salt. Any recommendations on ratio?  Thanks!!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    It’s your butt, but I sure would not inject it! 

To me the bark mixed in during the pulling effort adds much more controllable taste than any injected taste.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Inject away. I'll often use Chris Lilly's butt injection recipe
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    What I really like to do w/ Pulled pork is wrap it at 160 in a foil pan to easily reserve the seasoned juices. Then reincorporate them as is or run them
    through a fat separator if you desire. Inject or brine or nothing at all, it’ll be great. 
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I us Myron Mixons method. He has a Butt Injection and he uses Pans. Three hours uncovered in pans then put the butts in a clean pan. I just clean the ones I am using the put the butts back in with some apple juice cover the pans with a thermometer inserted and bring them up to 205 degrees and wiggle the bone. If it comes out I am done. I inject the butts the night before and Rub them in the morning before they go on the Egg!
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    RRP said:
    It’s your butt, but I sure would not inject it! 

To me the bark mixed in during the pulling effort adds much more controllable taste than any injected taste.
    Yep. Everyone has their own opinion, but I don’t find that injecting a butt adds a lot. I just add a rub and use smoking wood, no marinade or injection. I haven’t gotten any complaints yet. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I did Harry Soo's injection recipe last week and the butt turned out great.  It does take some things that are hard to find or people avoid, like msg.  It was noticably better than the many other pork butts I've smoked.

I've also injected to add different flavors, like Jamaican jerk. 

IMO, it only adds flavor. I've never had a dry pork butt with or without injection.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have a big bag of Kosmos pork injection. The first butt I used it on, was not good, bordering on terrible.
    In order to give the injection a fair chance, I offered up another butt on the sacrificial altar,  It too was a bad result.
    I'm back to a simple Kosher salt/black pepper rub. The simple rub doesn't get in the way of the pork flavor.

• Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    edited June 2020
    I have used the following recipe for 7 or 8 years now with excellent results. It comes from Bob Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ, Decatur, AL. They also are the one's that get credit for the Alabama white sauce that some of you have tried. Use whatever rub and other items to include mustard as you normally would. The injection is not going to affect the bark what so ever. It will add moisture and some flavor to the meat (nothing drastic).
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup salt (I use Kosher salt)
    2 tablespoons of worcestershire sause
    enough for 16-18 lbs of pork

XL BGE and L BGE
  • I used meat church hog injection and honey hog and love the finished product.  Flavor throughout the pork. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    looks great to me. when i inject i use this and inject during the cook after an internal reading of 160. it takes more of the injection and gives it more of a whole hog cook taste

from the elder wards pulled pork recipe

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1 tsp. cracked black pepper

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it