Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to avoid soft bark on a pork butt?

I typically smoke uncovered at 275 until it hits 160 and then I put in a foil pan with apple juice/brown sugar and foil the top of the pan until it is done. I like how moist it is and use juice in the foil pan to pour over the pork but the bark is soft .. almost mushy.  Should I wait longer to wrap...maybe 175 or still wrap around 160 but remove the foil towards the end...like 185/190 to let it stiffen up or try something different?

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    pour over the pork but the bark is soft
    Should I wait longer to wrap

Pouring liquid onto the bark and wrapping both will soften bark.  No need to do either.  Save the juice to add to the pork after pulling or serve at the table.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     You could also try to inject and then run without wrapping. hopefully enough moisture and the best bark. You can put in a foil pan at some point to collect some juices without the foil covering as well.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    if you are wrapping I always use butcher paper, it breathes so it doesn't steam the butt making the bark mushy , I generally never wrap Butts but when I do this is how I do it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I wrap in butcher paper instead of foil. Bark always turns out fine.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Absolutely no reason to wrap a pork butt .  That’s your soft bark . Leave it naked whole time.  

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I only wrap if I’m in a time crunch otherwise I’ll run 300-325 nekked the whole cook.   If you feel you need to wrap don’t wrap until the bark is set and the rub won’t scrape off with your fingernail  and don’t use liquids in the pan.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I never wrap, never spritz, and never have a problem with the moisture content.

I use a brine for 24 hours on a pork butt, prior to adding rub and peach preserves. Worth the effort for  a very long cook, and the bark is absolutely delicious.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Don’t wrap unless you are having to hurry cook. Spritz if even needed..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    I never wrap pork butts and always have awesome bark.  No wrap and see what you've been missing!!  Most of all, have fun and eat well!!  Pictures too....
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I’ve never wrapped a butt in the egg.  No reason too. Hell, I’ve even stopped injecting it.  I just run it rubbed until it hits 203, then I wrap it and let it sit for two hours. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.