Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Wok?

So I scrolled back about 10 pages worth in the search function on this and could't find a mention, but has anyone played with a CI wok on the Egg? The Lodge one in particular. 

I'll preface this all by saying I have a solid working collection (20+ pcs) of both CI and CS cookware already (much to my fiancée's chagrin lol) and have a long and happy history with each material. I'm not spooked to go either direction (and knowing me, before it's all said and done, I'll almost certainly try both haha) so this is more of an open discussion/compare contrast. I can see how specific properties of each would lend themselves to wok style cooking on the Egg, but any real world experience/testing would be great to hear about. Thanks guys!! 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    cs cools faster when you take it of the flame when things are getting out of control, thats a good thing. have several cs ones in different styles and prefer the long handled round bottom 14 inch size.  that lodge one looks heavy and pricey, last time in boston i bought two woks, the long handle 14 and a 16 inch hooped handle hand hammered and the total cost was 22 bucks.  get the appropriate aluminum dome cover as well, mine fits my size 12 lodge fry pan, its really useful.  that lodge is thick, the chinese supply places have thinner ones in ci
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Chinese restaurants all use carbon steel woks, so there must be a reason. I think it's at least partly due to the weight, since proper technique requires constant motion. But also they get up to temperature faster.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What fish said. I have several carbon steel woks, one VERY thick and heavy Le Creuset CI wok and a very thin CI wok my son picked up in NYC's Chinatown (my favorite). Never used the LC, came as part of a yard sale set and is far too heavy and thick.

From the looks of it, the Lodge CI is also far too thick. Would take a while to come to temp and would not be easy to regulate. Check out the wok shop in San Fran for a carbon steel (they also appear to sell my CI model). Or the ceramic grill store in Texas.

My NYC CI before seasoning...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tom_in_NC
    Tom_in_NC Posts: 29
    This is largely in line with what I figured would be the case. I appreciate the feedback guys. Anyone else I'd love to hear their .02!! Lol 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I bought a thin 14” CI wok from Tane Chan at the WokShop in San Francisco a few years back. I love the thing. I also have a CS wok that I’ve had for 35 years that I have cooked many meals in. I like them both. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2020
    I have the large Lodge cast iron wok. It takes just shy of forever to heat up.
    It sounds good in theory to have a cast iron wok, but in practice, it's not a good choice. I would recommend a good quality carbon steel.
    My dislike of the Lodge cast iron wok, may not apply to other brands. A much thinner cast iron wok would likely perform much better than the thick Lodge wok.
  • fishlessman
    get the spider for the wok, gets the wok closer to the coals

fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    GregW said:
    I have the large Lodge cast iron wok. It takes just shy of forever to heat up.
    It sounds good in theory to have a cast iron wok, but in practice, it's not a good choice. I would recommend a good quality carbon steel.
    My dislike of the Lodge cast iron wok, may not apply to other brands. A much thinner cast iron wok would likely perform much better than the thick Lodge wok.

The first woks from a couple thousand years ago were made of cast iron. Millions of Asians still use (and prefer) cast iron woks (which are fairly light).
    The Lodge wok with its heavy thick walls has its pluses and minuses. There are far more techniques to wok cooking than just a screaming hot fire and tossing stuff around (which would prove tricky with a wok as heavy as the Lodge). The thick walled Lodge is probably just fine for many other techniques - steaming, deep frying, poaching for instance.
    The obvious solution is to have more than one type/material/size of wok in your quiver and select the one most suited for the task at hand.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Tom_in_NC
    Tom_in_NC Posts: 29
    get the spider for the wok, gets the wok closer to the coals

Fish, I have the Woo (staring at it in its box across from me in my office as I type this, along with about $400 and 50# of other s**t from CGS lol). Is the Spider any more effective for wok use than it? Does it drop the pan lower than the bottom ring of the Woo? I mean at $26, it's like a rounding error on this little adventure lol. Hell I've already got another cart started with them (including their 16" wok btw), it wouldn't be a big deal to add but it's just another 24" piece of stainless I have to store/keep track.

More broadly, is there anything you can do with the Spider you can't with the Woo? I'm still figuring out the CGS Universe of Awesome Stainless Stuff so any help is appreciated. 
  • fishlessman
    i use the ring for the wok and with a pizza stone for under the adjustable rig to make more room access in the rig during indirect low and slows. it works for me. with the wok i use it upsidedown so the long handle on my wok fits the large better
    fukahwee maine