Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your Kroger meat and produce Expire quickly?

leemschu
leemschu Posts: 609
We have been having a lot of trouble with produce especially from our Kroger. It seems to always start to mold or ruin in about 3 days. Going to the store every 3 days to buy new fruits a veggies is not super easy for us to do. Meats, when they still had meat, was not as bad but usually turned a couple days before the date. Does anyone else notice this with their local grocery stores?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    No issues here with the local Kroger.  Of course I am not one to buy (other than habaneros, serranos (both out of stock for the past few weeks) or jalapenos as veggies  B) ).  All beef, pork, chix products have at least a week run-time in the their coolers but I will occasionally see a large meat pack (chix quarters) marked with a deep discount expiring within the next day.  
    In the main, I have been impressed with how their supply chain has responded and kept things quite close to "the new normal" after the early panic buying spree.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    We frequently shop at Kroger and haven't noticed any premature spoilage with purchases from there.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Not Kroger but the veggies aren’t lasting as long as before 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Even last summer I noticed that iceberg lettuce from Kroger turned "rusty" or bad within 3 days. Then I also noticed green peppers were soft within 4 or 5 days! Tomatoes? HA - I quit even looking at any produce from Kroger!

FAST FORWARD 9 months - Kroger produce is still CRAP IMO here in Peoria, IL!

Fortunately we have a chain based out of IA and another out of MO and I can buy decent produce from them! Why Kroger can't find a similar source baffles me! 

NOW I just can't wait until locally grown produce is available including all the tomatoes that my s-i-l gives us from her small, but highly productive garden!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No problem here. I've been using Instacart and shop at Stop & Shop, Big Y, Aldi and ShopRite. Haven't been in a grocery store in weeks. Availability is pretty good and veggies are fresh. Even found a variety of fresh chilis yesterday (jalaps, serranos, habaneros). Flour is still hard to find.

As for Kroger, I don't remember the last time I saw a Kroger! Probably when I had family in Charlotte, years ago. I just looked at their store locator and it seems the nearest from me is 265 miles away. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The supply chain is slow to market or you are storing it wrong.  Check your crisper humidity and temp and leaving stuff in the bag, depending on what it is, can cause premature degradation 
    Or you are just unlucky...
    Products I get from Publix seem to last longer than ones from Kroger
  • I love salads and am on a keto diet but I’ve given up on buying lettuce. I can’t find good romaine that lasts and doesn’t taste bitter. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Anxiously awaiting the peer reviewed studies of "vegetable longevity as experienced by purchases from various marketplace purveyors".
    Should be interesting to see what working theories they come up with to explain the differences (if any).
    Bonus points if time-lapse videos are included with the study.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    HeavyG said:
    Anxiously awaiting the peer reviewed studies of "vegetable longevity as experienced by purchases from various marketplace purveyors".
    Should be interesting to see what working theories they come up with to explain the differences (if any).
    Bonus points if time-lapse videos are included with the study.

You’d be pissed like I was if you’ve tossed $30 worth of veggies in the last two weeks because they didn’t last three days at home. This was at Publix. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    people here are avoiding the veggie section, veggies are probably sitting on the shelf longer.  the avocados though are like rocks, i dropped one out of the truck last week and it bounced 2 feet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    We use a local farm/CSA program for veggies, plus the garden. I just finished vacuum packing pork chops, pork tenderloins and wings that have been in my fridge since Monday and still had 5-6 days to go on the tag date...all from Kroger
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• We haven't been to Kroger in several months due to covid (ours doesn't seem very sanitary at all and lots of shady customers there), so this year we haven't had a fruit fly invasion yet which in years past I 100% guarantee has come from Kroger produce.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    IMO you just have to buy differently or buy more frequently.  We’ve stopped buying heads of lettuce and buy the prepackaged individual leaves in tubs.  More expensive but it seems to last longer.  If we buy berries of any kind, they get eaten same day or next.  More cabbage, etc.  It’s not that difficult compared to many adjustments we’ve had to make.