Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

D*mn I love chicken on the JoeTisserie!

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited May 2020 in EggHead Forum
Sometimes I do a lot of prep before a cook, but usually it's a last minute decision...  life, work, family.  Just happens that way a lot.  Tonight the wife had no dinner plans when I asked at 6:00 and by 8:00 we were eating a chicken I'd had in the back of the fridge.
Here's the kicker... sometimes the shortest prep cooks are the best.  Here's how it went down;
- Lit the egg
_ Washed and dried the chicken.  Put the gizzards on the stove for the dogs.
- Dusted with corn starch. I'm not sure if that even matters as I then...
- Rubbed with olive oil, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and a heavy shake of DP Mediterraneanish.
- Put the chicken on the egg. Fed the gizzards to the dogs, and got started on the rice and black beans.
- Chicken cooked for an hour and 20 until the thickest part of the thighs read 165.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and sliced another juicy bird that practically fell off the bone as I cut it.  Another great JoeT cook. Great skin. Subtle charcoal flavor. An easy pre-mixed seasoning that never disappoints;

"Things the chicken was saying, for $100."

Has such incredible flavor spun right over the lump.  As good as a Greek or Peruvian restaurants rotisserie setup, if not better.

Ready to carve...

A quick chop to a not so patiently waiting hungry family.  (I'm the only one that likes eating at 8:PM).  With a squeeze of fresh lime and chopped cilantro...

Thanks for looking at my ordinary cooks! (that the BGE makes great) :)
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Nice bird.  Y'all are slowly pushing me to a Joetisserie, but I will add that I have spatched several birds with no notice and good results.  That looks stellar - love the lime cilantro finish.
    NOLA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Nice bird.  Y'all are slowly pushing me to a Joetisserie, but I will add that I have spatched several birds with no notice and good results.  That looks stellar - love the lime cilantro finish.
    Thanks! I used to always spatch.  Never had a complaint either. I forget what it was that made me get the JoeT to be honest.  It wasn't for chicken.  That said,
    I think the chickens are juicier on the JoeT and quicker to prep. (the cook may be a little quicker spatched).  Prep is quicker because you're not cutting out the backbone.
    Both always gave me the best chickens I'd ever made though. ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    buzd504 said:
    Thanks! I used to always spatch.  Never had a complaint either. I forget what it was that made me get the JoeT to be honest.  It wasn't for chicken.  That said,
    I think the chickens are juicier on the JoeT and quicker to prep. (the cook may be a little quicker spatched).  Prep is quicker because you're not cutting out the backbone.
    Both always gave me the best chickens I'd ever made though. ;)

I would probably argue that equipment/fire setup for the spin negates any prep time saved by not spatching, but those details are irrelevant to me.  I'm more concerned with results, and everything I've seen with the rotisserie looks great. 

I heart juicy chicken.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Really nice looking bird!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great way to adapt and crank out impressive chix.  Nailed that skin as well. Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Do you use the JoeT with the lid opened or closed?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    billyray said:
    Do you use the JoeT with the lid opened or closed?
    Always closed for me.   If it's open for too long the coals turn into fire...  that may be good for certain cooks but I am always roasting with it.  I suppose it would be a nice way to crisp the outside when your are done with a roast.  I'll try that next time I have a beef roast on there.  In the past I have pulled a beef tenderloin when it hits temp, then throw a grate on to reverse sear.  Now that you mention it, that's probably an unnecessary step if I can get a quick open flame under the meat instead!

Regarding setup time, it is no different than setting up your grate or platesetter for a cook. Pull the grates, throw on the ring.  The lump is easy peezy also.  I throw in my lump, push most of it up on each side, light it and go.  I use those little fire starter tabs mostly, break one in half, stick half in each side.  The egg is usually above temp much faster than I expect and I'm closing the vents to get the temp down before I cook.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited May 2020
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great way to adapt and crank out impressive chix.  Nailed that skin as well. Congrats.  
    Thank you. Those were accidentally the best wings I have ever made.  I was disappointment there were only 2!
    If science can genetically engineer vegetables, they should be able to make a fryer with 8 wings. :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Rotisserie really takes chicken to another level. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    Awesome cook and great photos.  We really enjoy the results from spinning our food too.  
    Arlington, TX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Great looking bird.  Thanks for posting.  I’m a recent rotisserie chicken convert too. Someone above asked about the lid.  I keep it closed like the OP.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Beautiful cook. Did a half a chicken in basket last night.  It was wonderful.  

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.