Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Processing Hogs

FarmerTom
FarmerTom Posts: 685
I've been lurking but not active for some time due to various reasons but mostly due to I had become very frustrated with my grilling set up.  I have just completed an addition to our old meathouse here on the farm and will post pics soon, I hope, if I ever finish getting it organized.
   In the meantime, not trying to steal any of @SGH thunder, we had a hog killing this weekend.  Not the right time of year, but hog farmers are in a really bad position now with processors shutting down and are selling hogs ready to slaughter at dirt cheap prices.  My son went a little ways up into Indiana and purchased 10 weighing about 275 each at $0.50/pound live weight.  Several neighbors wanted one or two each so we got them and fed them here on the farm until this weekend when we slaughtered and processed 5 of them.  2 people took theirs and did them themselves.  For the other 8, I have a neighbor that has raised and slaughtered many over the years and knows how to do it. My son and I offered to buy one for him if he would help us slaughter ours.  We wanted two, and before long our 2 and his one grew to 10.
   And this weekend it all started.  For a neighbor to get their hog processed, they had to come help with all of them, so we had a good crew.   We killed and quartered 5 on Saturday, refrigerated them over night to cool them, and processed them 
Sunday.  Have 3 more to do this week to finish up.
   I hope the pics post properly, and hope no one is offended.  I tried not to take any that might be considered too gruesome, but some folks are easily offended.  Not sure how they think that meat gets onto the shelves of their grocery store without going thru a similar process.

Feeding them at our place.

Cleaning, gutting, and quartering.  I left out the killing process.

Ready to quarter.

A bunch of vac sealed porkchops. 2 to a package.  Can't wait to try some.

Spare ribs ready to Egg.

Most of one hog ready to freeze.  There's an additional 40 or so pounds of sausage I didn't have bagged when I took this pic, plus we still have the bacon to slice.   Lots of good eating here.  I wanted to cure the hams but we were afraid it was too hot.  We always cured hams in late winter.  Plus I couldn't find some of the ingredients my mother always used.  Needed to order them as no one locally carried them any longer.  There's pork chops, ham steaks that are tenderized, shoulders, a picnic ham, country style ribs, tenderloins, spare ribs, some roasts, sausage and bacon.  All for $135.
   I didn't make any baby back ribs.  Left them with the bone in pork chops.  I try to watch our local Kroger and can regularly find baby backs for $5-$6 a rack and try to keep 8 or so in the freezer.  
   That's all for now folks.  Hope you enjoyed reading about our weekend here on the farm.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Great documentation.  A buddy and I just did the same thing for the same reasons.  It is deferentially an experience and gave me a greater appreciation for the animal.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Good to see another farmer who knows how to provide for his friends and family, nicely done! 
  • bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    A little low but with a 45-70 close counts!
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Cool post but I have to ask.. what’s up with the twelver of Mountain Dew on the gutting area?  :open_mouth:
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    FarmerTom said:
    We killed and quartered 5 on Saturday, refrigerated them over night to cool them, and processed them Sunday. 
    You must have some major refrigeration capacity. 
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    How awful and offensive !!!!!! 

Just kidding . Anyone who is offended by animal processing probably shouldn’t own a smoker .  Brought back memories, my grandpa (here in southern Indiana ) had a pig farm when I was a kid.  

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Cornholio said:
    Cool post but I have to ask.. what’s up with the twelver of Mountain Dew on the gutting area?  :open_mouth:
    Never had a Mountain Dew and Crown royal? It’s called a rocket. Real drink
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Looks like a productive weekend!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2020
    bangor307 said:
    A little low but with a 45-70 close counts!
    Somebody has some GREAT head cheese ahead of them! And for those who don't know what "head cheese" is - it isn't found in any supermarket deli showcase! It really is especially GREAT when made by someone who knows how to make it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Great to see you posting again! I hope the wedding went well. I think you were smoking something for it and the wedding was maybe on the farm? I could be way off...

Thanks for the pics and the process. I've never done it myself but always appreciative about learning a thing or two when someone does post something like this. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Great post. Those are some insanely low pork prices. I hate that this is where we are with our producers but I would have jumped on that to the amount of space I had to to store it

your son was right. If we are going to kill these amazing animals to eat- and pigs are amazing animals- we have a responsibility to do it the right way. We always like to say that our pigs “have one bad day”. And if you do it right it should be one bad second. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FarmerTom
    I’m not sure who brought the Mountain Dew.  Our fridge was, and I emphasize ‘was’ , full of an assortment of beer when the day started.   Needing cooling space for the hogs, well only one acceptable option.  

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• FarmerTom
    Hey @lentsboy007 , I’m in Ky but close to Madison In.  Go there often.  These hogs came from the Greensburg area.  Is that near your neck of the woods?

Tommy 

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    FarmerTom said:
    Hey @lentsboy007 , I’m in Ky but close to Madison In.  Go there often.  These hogs came from the Greensburg area.  Is that near your neck of the woods?
    No I’m actually quite a bit southwest of there , in Martin County 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• FarmerTom
    WeberWho , you have a good memory.  That was our daughters wedding.  She got married on our farm where my father grew up.  We rented a big tent and had the wedding and reception way back on the farm.  Our son in law is from Texas and several of his friends and family wanted to camp out after the wedding.  It was a really great time.  Our daughter wanted me to cook "a" brisket for the reception.  I knew that wouldn't last long, so I cooked 5.  One on my M and 4 on the XL.  My hog processing friend cooked up a big kettle of Texas style chili in one of our big old lard kettles.  

Tommy