Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Multichannel Thermometer

Hello,

I'm looking for a multichannel Thermometer and am torn between the Thermoworks Signal and Flame Boss 500. I don't really need the fan function but do like at least 3 probes and pit temp. Any thoughts between these two or any others you like?

Thanks!

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    If you don’t need the fan, have you considered smobot? I really like mine. 
  • Hilton
    Hilton Posts: 41
    Never heard of it but that looks cool! Forgot to add I do want an app/wireless function to view temps on my phone which looks like that has. 
  • cdnewman
    cdnewman Posts: 88
    If you are looking for a device that booths monitors temperature and controls temperature, there are lots of threads on here that weight the pros and cons. But if you are really just looking for something to monitor 4 temperatures, I don’t think you can go wrong with the signals. The probes are very accurate, the app works well and there are lots of other probes to choose from. I really like the “shortys” that allow me to monitor smaller, delicate items like fish fillets without having a giant probe sticking out. And thermoworks made their reputation on their probes. I use my signals with a billows because I want the ability to control cooks remotely. I think the various alternatives are quite competitive. But for pure temperature monitoring, I trust thermoworks above all else.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    There’s also the FireBoard. Can’t remember who has one, but I recall that they loved it. Can monitor 6 probes, and is expandable to include a fan unit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    I use the Smobot on my XL and Medium - its awesome. Only 1 pit temp and 2 food probes though, so misses your ‘want’ of 3 probes plus pit temp. I use the FireBoard on my offset - 6 ports for whatever combo of pit/food you want to track, also awesome.  I don’t use the fan controller on my FireBoard, but the option to do so is available. 

No experience with Signals, but have the Thermoworks Smoke which is a pretty good system, so I would think it’s fine too.  
    Arlington, TX
  • Tarheel55
    Tarheel55 Posts: 1
    I own a Thermoworks pen and a ThermoWorks Blue Dot.  Recently bought Signals with Billows.  When it works it is great.  Unfortunately about every other cook my Signals is dead, even when plugged into the power adapter.  The power adaptor seems very cheap and is made in China.  I suspect it is the weak link.  Cooked a roast 2 weeks ago on BGE and Signals with Billows worked like a charm.  Today, I was up at 6:00 am. and Signals would not work. I tested the power circuit and even tried plugging the unit into different circuits.  Nothing.  Signals has to be plugged in for Billows to work.  Power failure in 2 of four cooks is unacceptable.  Yes, I have an email in to ThermoWorks customer support. 
  • cdnewman
    Tarheel55 said:
    I own a Thermoworks pen and a ThermoWorks Blue Dot.  Recently bought Signals with Billows.  When it works it is great.  Unfortunately about every other cook my Signals is dead, even when plugged into the power adapter.  The power adaptor seems very cheap and is made in China.  I suspect it is the weak link.  Cooked a roast 2 weeks ago on BGE and Signals with Billows worked like a charm.  Today, I was up at 6:00 am. and Signals would not work. I tested the power circuit and even tried plugging the unit into different circuits.  Nothing.  Signals has to be plugged in for Billows to work.  Power failure in 2 of four cooks is unacceptable.  Yes, I have an email in to ThermoWorks customer support. 
    Sorry that would frustrate me to no end. Not sure if you have other usb-c products, but if you have a 12 volt usb c charger or power bank, you could try that to see if the wall wart is really the problem. Hopefully, they can warranty it either way. I’ve done about 30 cooks so far with my signals and haven’t had any issues. 
  • jdsmithii
    jdsmithii Posts: 50
    Do you have any issues with your Billows running hot? Every cook I have done so far, I have set the upper vent to a slit, put my Billows on, let me fire settle, and after about 30 minutes to an hour, it has shot past the designated temperature and the high temperature. Then I have to take it out, seal up, and let it come back down. Every. Time.
  • butt_juice
    butt_juice Posts: 129
    caliking said:
    There’s also the FireBoard. Can’t remember who has one, but I recall that they loved it. Can monitor 6 probes, and is expandable to include a fan unit. 
    I've got one and do love it! Awesome tool. Very versatile with 6 channels, wifi & Bluetooth and that fan unit. They offer many probe types for attaching to grids, or treading into pit, straight and curved probes...things like that. Awesome support and a Midwest USA company.  
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • cdnewman
    jdsmithii said:
    Do you have any issues with your Billows running hot? Every cook I have done so far, I have set the upper vent to a slit, put my Billows on, let me fire settle, and after about 30 minutes to an hour, it has shot past the designated temperature and the high temperature. Then I have to take it out, seal up, and let it come back down. Every. Time.
    Not yet. I’ve done about 20 cooks using it. Most of those I am targeting 225. It sometimes gets up to 235 during ramp up, but then will settle at 225 +/- 3 for the rest of the cook. I have overshot once when it was gusting up to 35mph, and even then only overshot a 400 target at 420. I have yet to trigger a high alarm.