Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. progress on the backyard build. countertops.

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited May 2020 in Off Topic
I am so appreciative for learning to do this one myself.  I would never attempt it again.  Ive learned quite a bit and value people that work with their hands every day soo much more. Skill trade is just plain hard.  Saved a lot of money for sure.  The granite counter top would have been crazy if it wasnt for them letting me do most of the work my self.  Made my own template, transferred the templates to the slabs.  Made some cuts and left it to them.  I would have jacked it up.

Who knew this was sooo fricken heavy.  Was able to do it with only one seam.

Spent half the night hooking up gas lines, electric.  still have to caulk and much more to go
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Looking good!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice.  What is the name of the stone?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Wow that is very nice.  Impressed!
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    the stone is from cambridge, its lightly tumbled old english in black and white.  getting closer.  Im sure my wife will be happy 3 years of mess.

I have no background in hardscapes or stone for that matter.  Heres where I started.  Me and a garden hose after tearout the old.  The tear out was my first experience with stone let a lone 1000 of them

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Then the garden hose, some ruff sketch.  Then drew it up.  This was the best way to find out what I thought wasnt going to work.  The numbers sounded good.  The garden hose layout and spray paint 20 different times proved otherwise

Columbus, Ohio
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice.  What is the name of the stone?
    Countertop color name.   Sorry.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jdMyers
    edited May 2020
    Options
    its leathered ?  steel grey
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    It really didnt look to great until I put a sealer on it.  Man then it popped.  Same with the stone.  The sealer made a huge difference.  The one section I remembered to get a photo before it was done.  Had to recut that one.

Columbus, Ohio
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    @jdMyers That looks just fabulous!  Thanks for continuing to post updates. 
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • kennethk
    kennethk Posts: 31
    Options
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited May 2020
    Options
    cutting is tricky. If you don't have a CNC waterjet or CNC diamond saw, you really should use a track saw with a diamond blade and a hose flowing water. Then you need diamond router bits to put on any kind of edge on it, and diamond polishing pads with a variable speed grinder with hose running (ideally a wet grinder).

Once you have the right tools, it is not too bad after you experiment a few times.

Looks great though. Can't believe you got away with one seam. Did you see how much shimming it required? Was your concrete slab perfectly flat AND level?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • jdMyers
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hey thanls eveyone.  I only used 2 shims.  Right along the seam.  Thats all that was needed.  I thought there would be two seams honestly.  Used a funny looking cross between a jig saw and circular saw shaped tool diamond blade.  All hand cut out used and a spray bottle.  No water jet laser jet.  Truely  old fahsion.  Had to make 2 cuts.  Didnt allow for cords from grill had to make a small notch.  Polish 2 spots on in seams.

Patio has 3 inch slope over the 20 foot depth for run off front to rear.  And a 2 degree accidental inward pitch.  I drilled 15 pairs of 5 ft deep holes for pillars under where the stone sets for support.  Got that off of discovery channel looking at oil rigs.  

The 1st row of pavers took about 10 hours to mortor set and level out.  Shaved and used mini pebbles as the rows went up to keep it level and flush across.  

The standing water would let me believe its very level.  Had to buy a squeeegie today 
    Columbus, Ohio