Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Cleaning Surprise - Cracked Firebox on Large

Options
1voyager
1voyager Posts: 1,157
edited April 2020 in EggHead Forum
I'm working with Ace Hardware to get a warranty replacement.

In the meantime, would you continue to use the Egg?

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I’ve used this on a cracked fire ring. Like new. Warranty replacement part sitting in the garage. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    edited April 2020
    Options
    No need for any JB Weld or anything else.  Piece it together as well as you can and continue to cook.

My XL has a cracked firebox and has been for probably a year or so?  I just haven't found a good time to replace it.  It mostly holds together.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Yes. I would and have.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    my L has had a cracked firebox for about seven years.  It’s pieced together and still works fine. I’m not the original owner so I don’t have a warranty. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    this one was broken into 20 something pieces and still cooking away ;)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Thanks for your comments.

Pulled the firebox out of the Egg this morning to get two numbers for the dealer and it broke in half. It's a clean break so it should still be somewhat useable. 

@fishlessman - You are one brave dude using that.  =)
  • 1voyager
    edited May 2020
    Options
    No response back from Ace. (No return calls, or "he's with a customer, he's at the bank, he's at lunch". Blah, blah, blah.)

I sent an email to BGE yesterday asking if I could deal with them directly. No response yet.

Do any of you have a contact at BGE who may be able to help? 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Use another ace. It can be any dealer. Doesn't have to be the place of purchaee
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • dextero
    dextero Posts: 2
    Options
    I spotted a crack in my firebox a couple of years ago, went to a different dealer from where I made the purchase they filed a report sent pictures and received a new one no charge. 
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Options
    My large base and firebox are both cracked.  I’ve tried going through the original purchase dealer twice and can’t get a response either.  Going to try our local ace and see if I get anywhere.
  • 1voyager
    Options
    I should have come back here and given a final update as I did on a similar discussion. 

BGE sent a warranty authorization. I went to a different dealer and they provided a replacement.