Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just made my first pizza on the egg. Must have done something wrong. Do you have to grease the stone before putting the pizza on it and do you have to heat the stone before putting pizza on it. I didn't do either of the above and the pizza stuck to the stone. It wasn't a very good site. Someone out there please help me. Thanks

Comments

• stanley,
    NO; don't ever grease the stone. Pre heat it for at least 15 minutes. I make most pizza's at 500F. If you have your platesetter and stone set up right, there is a lot of forgiveness in the time and temp.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    stanley,
    Preheat the pizza stone before cooking on it usually about 15 minutes does the trick. We cook our pizza's about 450 degrees about 10 minutes. I take the Cap off the egg and look in with a flashlight to see if the cheese has melted and to sneak a peak at the crust. My wife makes homeade dough and uses corn meal on the pizza peel to transfer it from the board to the stone. Hope this helps![p]Best regards, Pharmeggist

• stanley,[p]Oops… Yeah, you definitely have to preheat the stone. Pizza turns out best on a really not stone: 600-700 degrees. It will cook very quickly and shouldn't stick.[p]You definitely should NOT grease the stone, as it is porous and will absorb the oil permanantly. A light dusting of corn meal or flour on the stone before you throw your pie on should ensure that it won't stick. A pizza peel is awfully handy in this regard to.[p]Best of luck on pizza #2![p]-Big Green Egghead
  • Oh yeah, and don't forget to put the stone on right after you light the coals. Thermal shock has caused stones to crack, and putting a cold stone in the Egg will drop the overall temperature for several minutes.[p]Beers,[p]Big Green Egghead
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    stanley,[p]I recommend you look at the Pizza section of the Naked Whiz website. Lots of tips. I used his dough recipe last weekend and the family really liked it although next time I'd probably decrease the corn meal a bit - it made four free-form pizzas roughly 9 inches each. [p]More to your point - as others say, no oil on the stone. Dust with corn meal (unless you search the archives and find another method you want to try,) and absolutely put the stone in the Egg while it is on the cool side - you want a HOT stone when you slide the pizza onto it - otherwise it will stick and probably won't cook crispy (as you have learned.) BTW, I do them at 550 dome temp on a raised grid.
    [ul][li]Naked Pizza[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    stanley,
    No, don't grease, yes, preheat. Here's a link to my pizza hints and tips web page:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Gene613
    Gene613 Posts: 53
    Options
    stanley,
    Just to add to the discussion we used parchment paper last night for a pizza. You can lay the dough out and transfer it to the peel very easily. you can bake the pizza on the stone with the paper under it . we cook at 550 done temp we are hooked on them. We let the kids make mini pizzas and one for us.