Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked pheasant

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I smoke a pheasant in the Big Green Egg. I'm told that the lowest temp than I could sustain for any period is between 225 and 240 degrees, which I suspect is too high for smoking.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    g kelly,
    you are talking about cold smoking.[p]some have done it here, but it's hard to do. ice, automatic fans, etc.[p]easiest way would be to use the egg as a firebox, attach dryer hose to it and vent that into a cardboard box allowing the smoke to cool on the way. really gotta cool it for true cold-smoking.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I’ve tried pheasant several times and it is veeeery hard to keep the bird from drying out. The best luck I had was to cook it indirect at 225 bacon wrapped. Tasted great and was very moist throughout. Have to really watch the drumsticks or they cook to fast. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    g kelly,
    There was a pretty nice setup posted a few months back using the egg as the firebox and routing a dryer vent down to a styrofoam cooler. I tried to search archives but didn't come across the picture. I think this type of setup is your best bet for less than 200.

• WoodChuck
    Options
    g kelly,
    I was able to slow cook some ribs for 6-7 hours at 150 degrees as one of my first BGE cooks! It is very possible and the smoke cooked them through! I think a pheasent would be about the same![p]Let's All RAISE the BAR - B - Q!