Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spit roasting suckling pig?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have committed to purchasing a large BGE. Does anyone know where I can purchase a hand crank or portable spit roaster so I can do a suckling pig on the BGE (I live in CA but can order online, of course)? Will a small (15lb) suckling pig fit on the large BGE?
Is ordering directly from BGE the best deal I'm going to get? (now that W-S sold out in about 15 mintues..)
Thx.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Aneta, welcome to the forum and your intended cook is a first. My first thoughts are, yes, you could probably do two of them at a time on the Large BGE by using a double rack set up in the large. You will not need a rotissere in the BGE or a cranking mechanism..I would cook or bake the little guys as a low and slow rib cook. Just a opinion, since I have never processed a suckling in a BGE..Others may have some input on that one.
    I am most interested in how this one proceeds.
    Cheers to ya ...
    Char-Woody

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Aneta, other smuch wiser will have to really answer this but I think you're going to have trouble trying to get a hand crank or a portable spit with the BGE. I think I would try to do the pig indirect to try to get even browning on it. A 15# pig should fit (tightly) on a v-rack over some heat deflectors (bricks, pizza stone or just a plane pan) but it will be a tight squeeze. SLOPPY PIG might be the best one to answer this question but I haven't seen him posting lately. Maybe this will bring him out of the wood work to answer it. Good luck.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Wise One, I was thinking she is going to split the body so it will be a flattened piggy on the rack. Maybe she is goint to stuff it..Not sure what her approach will be. If she does them flattened,,then a double rack in a set up similar to what you mentioned, indirect, should work.
    It will be interesting.
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Options
    WiseOne...Only if she does two of em at a time that is!! A single rack set up for one piggly wiggly!!.. Mighty tender pork in those little guys.
    C~W

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Char-Woody, I tend to forget how much a large can hold. I keep thinking about my medium and I think a 15# chunk of anything indirect will fill it up. However, I do agree that low, slow and indirect would be the ticket. I'v enever doen one of these little fellas. Do you stick one those "Lady Apples" (Mrs. A - don't jump on me, that's a legitimate type of apple) into its mouth?

• Aneta, a good fellow by the BGE name of Dr Chicken is asleep right now, but when he's up I know he can give you plently of pointers as he has done many a pig. I gave him a holler so he'll know. ^oo^~

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Aneta:[p]Have the pig cut in two places so you have a complete rear leg section, a front leg section, and a rib section. A total of three pieces. Do as C~W suggests and use a bi-level rack set-up. Leg sections on the bottom and the whole rib section on the upper grill. Cook "low and slow" going for an internal of 200º. As you plan the timing of the cook, keep in mind that the ribs will be ready well in advance of the leg sections. . . . Too bad you are sooooo far from Atlanta . . . Good eating coming up!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Aneta,
    Welcome to the forum and get ready for the ride of your life! These folks are great. I think I got this link in the right place It's got a lot of helpful hints and information about Q'in Little Mr. Piggy[p]Good eating![p]Carey[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sundown OOOpsie was caused by not filling in the title box under the html fill.
    like this:[p]Link Url ->http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-001/458-001.html

Link Title--> One Little Piggy (anything you want to name it)[p]

[ul][li]One little Piggy![/ul]
  • Sundown
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Dang! I didn't want anyone to know that I'm functionally illiterate! Have no reading skills at all!
    Thank you for pointing that out to me. To be quite honest I didn't know how that part worked...never having used it before. Kinda neat! [p]Thanks [p]Carey[p]

[ul][li]Another Suckling Pig Spot[/ul]
  • Sundown, yer welcome.. I found several also..one detailing the complete disembowlment process, and I passed..not for this guy, but o.k. for that particular oriental cook.
    C~W[p]

• Sundown
    Options
    C~W,
    Yeah! I saw that one kinda sorta thought I would let my friendly butcher take care of that part of the process, including the removal of the eyelids and the eyeballs. There's a lot of things I will do but that isn't one of them. Not quite the same a field-dressing a deer...and now days I let my guide do that.[p]Carey

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sundown, your wise..there are deer parts that you need to work around and not contaminate..:-)
    C~W