Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Steaks?

I get a half of beef from a friend once a year for the last 10 or so years. The last one I got the Tbones and ribeyes are tough. I've used my Jaccard tenderizer on them and they are better but still not good. I've also tried meat tenderizer but it is way to salty. Anyone have any suggestions? 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Turn it into ground beef? =)
    Had a similar experience  few decades ago, the whole 1/2 was from the same steer, it did not I’m sorry to say get better. Since then I’ve watched sales or buy butcher boxes where the cuts come from different animals. If I get a chewy steak every now and then it is over right after that meal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Try marinating in (primarily) papaya or pineapple  juice for 4 hours or so. 
    NOLA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    buzd504 said:
    Try marinating in (primarily) papaya or pineapple  juice for 4 hours or so. 
    Saw a good internet video on marinating in pineapple juice for a couple hours to tenderize tough cuts of beef.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Kokeman said:
    I get a half of beef from a friend once a year for the last 10 or so years. The last one I got the Tbones and ribeyes are tough. I've used my Jaccard tenderizer on them and they are better but still not good. I've also tried meat tenderizer but it is way to salty. Anyone have any suggestions? 
    I know you said you have used your Jaccard, but once I found a good buy or at least I thought at the time and bought $300 worth of ribeyes. Talk about shoe leather on the hoof! 

What worked for me was just Jaccard them over and over front and back and again and again! I know that might sound unnecessary to many eggers here, but the effort was worth it...but I don’t want to ever buy tough as nails beef again! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.