Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck roast never came to temp

Options
Cooked a 3lb chuck roast bought at Sam's on my LBGE.  Egg temp was 270 dome, 240 grate.  The roast never went above 190.  In fact, it hit 190 a couple of times then shortly after dropped temp to as low as 187.  I left it on the Egg almost 15 hours and then just gave up.  Took it off the Egg, foiled and rested it for about an hour.  As you can imagine, anything that small cooked for 15 hours turned into mostly bark.  I do pork butts and briskets all the time and have never had a piece of meat not reach temperature before.  Was this something unique to chuck roast?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Did you ever probe for tenderness? Far more important than internal temp.  Are you sure of the thermometer you used?   There is nothing unique to chuck roast just maybe that piece you had.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    1) Welcome aboard.
    2) I've never experienced anything like that as long as the thermometers are working properly.  I'll assume yours are in range and just say "I ain't never seen nuthin' like that before".  Maybe someone here will chime in with an explanation.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun. 
    I have no insights regarding your specific issue but something doesn't fit...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigeggdan
    bigeggdan Posts: 19
    Options
    Update: the thicker parts of the roast actually had some decent meat and the extra bark was actually pretty darn good! (and crunchy).  The Egg is such a miracle of nature - even a 3 pound piece of meat cooked low and slow for 15 hours comes out moist and tasty!  
  • bigeggdan
    bigeggdan Posts: 19
    Options
    Update #2: a lesson learned is that I know the meat should have taken no more than 5 hours and going forward I'll check for tenderness when the meat hits 180 or 190.  I dont think I've ever had meat hit a stall at those temps before, so even though i hate to look during the cook, this seems like a safe bet.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Thanks for the update.  For the great majority of posts looking for some direction the feed-back never happens.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.