Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
Is there any charcoal that produces the least amount of smoky taste. Especially in poultry??

Answers

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/

It can be found (or ordered with free delivery) from Ace Hardware.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Rockwood is popular around these parts. I use it too.  That said, adequately preparing your charcoal to cook is the best thing you can do to help yourself. 

After lighting and settling in at your desired temp, wait for the white smoke to clear. When the charcoal is smoking white, volatile organic compounds are evaporating. Each piece of lump doesn’t have to be lit for this to happen, it occurs naturally with the increase in ambient temp. Aside from the visibility of the white smoke, use your nose. If it smells like a campfire, that’s what your food will taste like. When it smells delicious, cook away. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    What @johnnyp said. Also if using lump that was already used for poultry/direct you will get nasty chicken fat smoke. Start with new lump
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ducknutts
    Options
    I’ll give these suggestions a try. Personally, I liked the taste, my wife’s taste buds are extra sensitive. Thanks
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've heard that gas grills add no flavor to the food.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Don't forgot to do a clean burn every once in a while.  Doesn't matter how clean burning the charcoal is if the inside of your BGE is covered in grease.  If you're still seeing white smoke after 30-40 minutes are 300-400F, it's not the charcoal.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    ducknutts said:
    I’ll give these suggestions a try. Personally, I liked the taste, my wife’s taste buds are extra sensitive. Thanks
    My wife didn’t like the egg until I switched to Rockwood. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL