Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why use a raised grid?

DannyV
DannyV Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see a lot of recipes in the eggfest cookbooks and some of your web sites calling for a raised grid during the cook. I haven’t used a raised grid on any of my cooks and I’m not sure why it’s done. [p] I’m three beers into my deep contemplation on this subject and the only reason I can see for a raised grid is that you get a more accurate cooking temp by raising the grid to make it close to the level of the thermometer??[p] Then again, it could simply be just to get it further away from those hot glowing things at the bottom……[p]

Comments

• DannyV,

3 beers makes you think too much, more brings enlightenmrnt~[p]That said, I add the following words: COOKING SPACE!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    DannyV,[p]If you are doing hamburgers or searing steaks, you want the normal level grid so you get the direct heat. But there are other things that may not benefit from so strong a heat source or that you just want to cook a little slower so they don't burn on the outside and remain uncooked on the inside. And if you are doing more "refined" cooking that replicates the effects you get in a good oven, you may not want all that direct infrared heat so you cook indirect with a platesetter or other barrier to those infrared rays.
  • DannyV,[p]Eggomaniac is right, the raised grid essentially doubles your cooking space. Seems like a good investment to me.[p]-Big Green Egghead
  • Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    EGGOMANIAC,[p]I think you misinterpreted the raised grid functionality in this case. Sure...a raised grid in conjuction with the normal grid will increase your cooking space but Danny V's question stated that he'd seen recipes that called for using a raised grid. The only reason that I can think of that a recipe would call for more cooking space would be if you wanted to increase the quantity of the recipe. Instructions in a recipe telling you to use a raised grid would be, in my opinion, to get your food further away from the coals.[p]Theres my 2cents.[p]John
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Newbs,
    Or, as with pizza, up into the domefor some topside heat.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Danny
    You have contemplated well![p]I like a raised grate for anything that I am not trying to put a hard sear on. Like if I am cooking chicken thighs, I don't want too much heat from below because the bottom will get too dark before the middle is done. Hot spots in the fire are less pronounced as well. In addition, the food is higher up in the dome, so you get the benefit of reflected and radiant heat from the dome to cook the top of your meal. [p]Mornin coffee to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Chris,[p]Who are these people and why are most of them guessing at answers?[p]Freezing my a** off for the first time this winter!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    DannyV,
    most of my cooks are raised grill, and mostly its raised up higher than a standard raised grill with the grill a couple inches higher than the lip. i dont have a platesetter and use bricks or a pan for indirects and that is mainly for brisket, pulled pork or beef, turkey, and pizza/ breads where i use a stone. the egg cooks nice and even up in the dome with all the radiant heat up there, the smell of a direct cook with fat hitting the coals is the best, and those inderect cooks use more lump to hold dome temps than a direct cook would. chicken thighs, roasts, ribs, abt's, steaks, chops, etc are all raised grill direct cooks for me

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 128_2854.jpg
    <p />DannyV, For me cooking on a raised grid makes cooking in the egg easier. Plus, I can play with more toys.....

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Snowman.jpg
    <p />Sundown,[p]Not sure why it's been fashionable to pick on the noobs lately. All of the answers were right.... maybe not comprehensive, but right. The intended use of the raised grid that bge sells is to add more cooking space and/or/also to move the food higher into the dome and further away from the heat or as a platform for a pizza stone or to hang upside under the main grid to hold a deflector pan.... many uses. [p]It's been my feeling that asking questions, however obvious to some of the more experienced folks here, and getting answers has always been a hallmark of this forum.... viva la Noobs and winter! :~)[p]john[p]

• WooDoggies,[p]LOL. I thought you said "VIVA LA BOOBS" and I was thinking to myself "Viva la Boobs indeed."[p](Note to self: Make eye doctor appointment).
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Dos Huevos,[p]Hey man, there's truth to the saying, "we see what we want to see."[p]heee!

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    I use one of Sandbagger's raised grid rings for my cooks.[p]Never ran any definitive tests but I like the way it cooks.[p]Toy Man
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    When did you ever find time to straighten up your workshop? Pop
    Willis Tx.
  • Newbs,[p]I stand corrected :-)
  • Sundown,
    If it wasn't for newbs you wouldn't be at the top of the heap!

• DannyV
    Sandbagger,[p] And I thought I was getting a toy collection going! Next time I need to make mods to my rocket ship I'll bring it to your house![p] I'll have to see about getting the grid extender and give it a try.
  • Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Michael B,[p]That too. [p]Cheers,[p]John
  • DannyV
    Nature Boy,[p] Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try tomorrow night on my chicken cook if BBQGalore has one.[p]
  • DannyV
    Haggis,[p] Reading your's and all the others responses gives me a lot better info on how to improve my cooks.[p]Thanks!
  • DannyV
    WooDoggies,[p]Thanks!!![p] Looks like we'll be getting a little of your winter weather down here in Texas this weekend. I'll have to dig out a jacket for a change!