Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire was dying during smoking

Options
Hi all eggheads, 

I’m an egg newbie and so happy I found this forum. I have learnt so much here!

First time doing overnight smoke pork butt. I put the butt in around 11:00pm and was aiming around 250-275°F. I woke up around 7:00am and noticed the temp was dropping. I didn’t mess with it and hoped it would go back up. Until it dropped to 215, I thought it was out of charcoal so I opened it up and took the food/plate setter out. 

I found there was a hole in the middle of the charcoals and the fire was dying. Charcoals around the center were barely burnt. I gave a good stirred and opened the top and bottom wide open to let the temp to catch up. Then the temp stayed steadily for 4 more hours until I pulled the butt out at 200 IT. 

Have any of you experienced this? Is that normal or did I do something wrong? How to avoid this situation?

Thanks in advance. 

Answers

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    This happens once in a while. Your fire burned straight down.  Sometimes a fluke.  You can intentionally load your lump a certain way. I'm just a dump and light guy.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    In all the years that I have cooked on an Egg, I have never mastered building a fire that could burn all night without intervention. The problem that I have noticed is the draft characteristics of the fire changes as the fire consumes the charcoal. This necessitates damper adjustments in order to maintain temperature.
    A solution to this is a automatic temperature control.  There are many models on the market. A popular brand is the BBQ Guru. It uses a temperature-controlled fan to maintain the airflow to the fire. In essence, it's doing the same thing as opening the damper wider to maintain the temperature.
    A lot of people will advise you to learn how to control the temp yourself before purchasing an automatic controller. They are correct in this.
    Temperature controllers vary in cost, but on the high end they can be pretty expensive, but a good night's sleep is worth the expense to me.
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    I suggest that everyone with an BGE could justify a SMOBOT.  Light the egg and forget it....that's if you have enough fuel.
    Auburn, Alabama
  • flexfusion
    Options
    I suggest that everyone with an BGE could justify a SMOBOT.  Light the egg and forget it....that's if you have enough fuel.
    Auburn, Alabama
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Auburn, Alabama
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Auburn, Alabama
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Auburn, Alabama
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Auburn, Alabama
  • esk777
    esk777 Posts: 9
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    This happens once in a while. Your fire burned straight down.  Sometimes a fluke.  You can intentionally load your lump a certain way. I'm just a dump and light guy.  
    Thanks! Glad to know I’m not the only one or did something wrong 
  • esk777
    esk777 Posts: 9
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Thanks! Glad to know I’m not the only one or did something wrong 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Could be an airflow issue also.  If you are using the stock BGE setup, that little cast iron plate where you put the lump can get easily clogged.  By either ash or if you dumped in lump that included a lot of small pieces and dust.
    Consider getting a Kick Ash Basket.  They work great and let a lot more ash drop down to maintain a good airflow.
    You can also make sure you get a more distributed light on the lump before you choke it down to a low and slow.  Don't let it rage, but get it going better. These days I also use the starter tabs... they're just so darn easy.  I break them in half, but one in the back of the grill, one in the front.  Light them both and you have two areas of lump started which will more quickly merge.
    In the end, don't worry about it. It's happened to all of us.  A temp controller will help with this situation, you don't need it, but it does eliminate the anxiety. I sleep better on overnight smokes now, knowing I don't have to babysit them.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2020
    Options
    <duplicate>
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    My BGE arrives Wednesday, but I had the same problem with a Weber Kettle.  This problem went away when I started the lump from the outside in. I do not use this waxy starters of the nests.  I use a propane weed burner I found on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YSNPQ810CGA-Propane-Lighting/dp/B07L5HBZJL/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=weed+burner&qid=1635164967&sr=8-4 
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    I stir my coals every time before I light it up, and it's incredible how much ash and small pieces come through. I've always got good air flow, and I think it's only because how I stir it each time.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!