Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easiest Way to Align the Dome and Base...Guaranteed to Work!

After years of fighting with the alignment of my BGE, I finally figured out a way to align it that is easy, cheap and will work for all. Wish I would have thought about this years ago...

https://youtu.be/nIkoExlI85E

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited March 2020
    OMG, that is the cleanest egg and hinge assembly of an 11 year old Egg I have ever seen!  Thanks for sharing your solution.  Nice first post.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Great 1st post, thanks for sharing. Glad your bolts were just long enough, probably a challenge to find longer bolts with flush head. On the flip side I wonder if adding washers to the lower hinge will solve overbite problem.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Didn’t a guy called grandviksten on YT come up with a similar/same solution a while back?

i messed with the underbite issue a bit. And then stopped caring. Doesn’t seem to impact flavor/cooking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • davismp1
    davismp1 Posts: 5
    Great 1st post, thanks for sharing. Glad your bolts were just long enough, probably a challenge to find longer bolts with flush head. On the flip side I wonder if adding washers to the lower hinge will solve overbite problem.
    Thanks all. Definitely - Adding washers to the bottom four bolts would def fix an overbite in the exact same way. 
  • davismp1
    smbishop said:
    OMG, that is the cleanest egg and hinge assembly of an 11 year old Egg I have ever seen!  Thanks for sharing your solution.  Nice first post.
    LOL - Thanks. I keep her clean (on the outside) at least. Probably not as clean as it looks there and the brand new gasket also helps make it look shiny. ;-)
  • @davismp1 nice tip on alignment. What do you use to clean your egg?
  • davismp1
    @davismp1 nice tip on alignment. What do you use to clean your egg?
    I don't clean the inside, but on the outside I use Naphtha. It's like a mild paint thinner. Can find it in any hardware store or at places like Walmart. Got the idea from my dad who makes guitars and uses it on all kinds of stuff. Figured if it won't ruin the finish of a guitar, it won't mess with the finish of metal or ceramic.