Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pull Tabs for Merritt

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
I know we're all bummed that BB2020 is postponed. 

The fundraiser for BB2020 was to help the little girl fighting cancer named Merrill.  One thing @frazzdaddy mentioned was a push to help raise a Million pull tabs for her.  I started collecting them at some point. I'm really not sure how many days it's been.... 

Let's start trying to gather as many of those as possible?  At some point, we can send to @frazzdaddy or someone else in the area that could get them to Merritt's family?

I have a nice pile going and am almost embarrassed to say I counted tonight, and I'm sitting at 175 so far. Let's turn it into a bit of a competition and see who can gather the most.  This can help bring us together as an egging community and focus on something positive!!!

It also gives us a good excuse to pop a few more tops than we should during this crazy, stressful time!

Cheers!  I'll get to 180 tonight!
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• boswhale
    boswhale Posts: 15
    Okay, sounds good to me first time heard of this.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I started saving tabs when it was mentioned, so I'm in. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim

This was my collection at the start of last night. It grew significantly overnight. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Been working on my stash....

Be careful my fiends and wash your hands!

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• bubbajack
    Update!

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• thetrim
    Bump.  Please keep collecting...
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bubbajack
    Got a few people involved......once she reaches a million she wants to go for 2.
    Keep on saving them my friends!

• thetrim
    I‘ll send an update a little later along w a little Forum Contest.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited June 2020
    what will the pull tabs be used for? aluminum recycling?? a million tabs is only worth about $350-$400. Better to just collect money...
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2020
    what will the pull tabs be used for? aluminum recycling?? a million tabs is only worth about $350-$400. Better to just collect money...
    Im not fully on the up and up. But no I don’t think it’s for the money recycling them. I think it’s a little girl that is sick and wanted to raise Awareness. Gents correct me if I’m wrong here.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bubbajack
    There are several companies and sponsors  that provide funding for kids with cancer based on weight on the tabs. It is not about actual value of the tabs. Matching funds and all kinds of things.

It all goes to helping young kids with cancer, I am in. Every little bit helps. Egg on my friends!

• JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    this correct.   only value for tabs is what got from scrap aluminum.   scopes.com will tell you that truth.

plus they say saving tab and not whole can is same like saving pennies and throw out quarters.   @thetrim seem be having fun being misleading or just guppy.
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    JonWesson said:
    this correct.   only value for tabs is what got from scrap aluminum.   scopes.com will tell you that truth.

plus they say saving tab and not whole can is same like saving pennies and throw out quarters.   @thetrim seem be having fun being misleading or just guppy.
    There are charities that collect tabs.  That is a fact. How they make money or if they make money I don’t know. 
    New Orleans LA
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    I am not trying to ridicule the guy or effort. Just saying if the goal is raising money, just do that.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • thetrim
    I think the main effort was the young lady fighting cancer wanted to see if they could gather a million of those pull tabs. 

I guess it's not a cool enough request for the consummate Mr. Crank himself - @JonWesson to support, but it's one of those things that doesn't seem all that difficult to try and support.  I agree that raising $$$ would be nice too, and that was the main fundraising effort of this years since postponed BrentBlast.  The last time I checked, the family didn't have a GoFundMe site set up.  But leave it the the purple helmet himself, @JonWesson, to hate on a ridicule a kid fighting cancer.  Swell guy.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    @thetrim - where do we send the tabs? I don’t drink beer myself, but I have a bartender friend that should be able to help the cause. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • thetrim
    @mEGG_My_Day that's very nice of you.  I think @bubbajack can DM you the address where to send them.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim

This cup is now pretty much full.  Any guesses on the number of tabs in there?

In the hopes of generating more interest and getting more people to collect, I‘ll Venmo/PayPal $25 to whoever gets closest.  

I wish I could say I didn’t collect these all by myself.   Time for a shutdown.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    I haven’t contributed since Monday and am holding off until 14 August at the earliest.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95