Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quarantine Cook 2: Tequila Lime Steak Fajita Bowls

Fajita bowls are consistently in the meal rotation at our house.  The usual protein suspects are chicken or leftover pulled pork, but this round I decided to finish off a handful of steaks my better half purchased from a door to door salesman.  These steaks were barely 1/2" thick, so great candidates for a quick tequila & lime marinade with a hot and fast cook.  The results were satisfying for days.  I have to add that we love the instant rice/quinoa packets you can get from Costco as the base of the bowls.

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Nice, looks like a great meal
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    1/2 " steaks you say?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago said:
    1/2 " steaks you say?
    I may have been a bit dramatic, but definitely nowhere near the thickness I want in a T-bone.  The slice on the left of the picture/bowl was a pre-peppered sirloin, the slice on the right of the bowl was from a T-bone.
    Lakeville, MN
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Your cook is beautiful.

The 1/2" steak comment refers to a thread from bygone days that went koo-koo.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • That looks awesome! Would you mind sharing your marinade recipe/process please?

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Every once in awhile we'll get one of those guys trying to sell meat a reduced price. I just tell them I'm a vegetarian. Stops them right in their tracks. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • That looks awesome! Would you mind sharing your marinade recipe/process please?

Cheers,
    I'm a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to my brines/marinades and measuring.  Here's an approximation from this go around.

Tequila Lime Marinade
    1 Shot Tequila Blanco
    1 Lime - juiced
    1/2 Lime - zested
    2 Ts Taco seasoning - "homemade" preferred
    3 Ts EVOO
    3 Garlic cloves - minced
    2-3 Ts Cilantro - chopped

Let marinade a few hours
    Grill direct - hot and fast
    Let rest
    Cut across grain
    Yada Yada Yada

As for the fajita veggies, this is my favorite method (semi-adapted from Serious Eats):
    Preheat oven to 425
    Toss sliced Bell Peppers and Onions with EVOO + Salt + Pepper
    Spread evenly on baking sheet lined with tin foil
    Bake at 425 - stirring every ~10 minutes for 25-30 minutes
    *If you like more charring, broil for the last 5-10 minutes

Lakeville, MN