Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assassin Smokers - OT

Options
Anyone have one, or have experience with one? Thoughts on how the gravity fed compares to others?

I have it narrowed down to a Backwoods Chubby G2, a Stump’s Baby or an Assassin 17. Still trying to decide if the gravity fed is the better option. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I have a Stump XL Stretch, love it ...Assassin is right up there with Stumps for sure...It is a close smoke profile to a stick ( close) without babysitting ....i still like my stick Burners, but this gets the heavy work 

IMO the Gravity is the better choice

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I built My gravity feed as a “Stumps” clone, and it ran flawless.  Ran it off my Flameboss 300.  Produced the best BBQ I ever made, and all our friends agreed it was best Q they ate.  Sold to my buddy, and he makes 6-8 butts on it per cook!

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I've been looking at these smokers:
    https://www.deepsouthsmokers.com/

I wonder how they compare to the Stump's?

• lkapigian
    Options
    GregW said:

They look really good too me.
    I looked at those as well, took me a couple years to decide....the single factor for me was the most real estate I could get in a gravity feed and the XL Stretch fit that ....otherwise they are all solid, go with someone you are comfortable with....lets just say I am getting another and it may or may not be a Stumps 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    GregW said:

I looked at those as well, took me a couple years to decide....the single factor for me was the most real estate I could get in a gravity feed and the XL Stretch fit that ....otherwise they are all solid, go with someone you are comfortable with....lets just say I am getting another and it may or may not be a Stumps 
    Does the original guy named Stump's have anything to do with the smokers now?
    I've heard that Stump's sold the business including the name to someone else.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    GregW said:
    lkapigian said:
    GregW said:

Walter McDowell has been out of it for quite a while and is building smokers with his daughter @ Stumpville Smokers ....Thad Estes has owned Stumps for some time, Walter stayed even while Thad had control 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    “Stumps don’t make no junk”! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GregW
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    GregW said:
    lkapigian said:
    GregW said:

Walter McDowell has been out of it for quite a while and is building smokers with his daughter @ Stumpville Smokers ....Thad Estes has owned Stumps for some time, Walter stayed even while Thad had control 
    Thank you for the clarification. I see Stumpville has a Facebook page. The Stumpville website appears to be down. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @piney has an Assassin 26, I think. I’ve tried to buy it from him. Not sure why he will not take a $100 for it.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Deek1997 said:
    Anyone have one, or have experience with one? Thoughts on how the gravity fed compares to others?

I have it narrowed down to a Backwoods Chubby G2, a Stump’s Baby or an Assassin 17. Still trying to decide if the gravity fed is the better option. 
    I looked at Stumps, Deep South, and Assassin before I ordered an Assassin. I like all 3. However, after talking to Jeff @Assassin and visiting his facility, and visiting others I decided to go with the Assassin. But as I stated all 3 are great I just like the quality and customer service that goes with Assassin. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Deek1997
    Deek1997 Posts: 46
    Options
    piney said:
    Deek1997 said:

I looked at Stumps, Deep South, and Assassin before I ordered an Assassin. I like all 3. However, after talking to Jeff @Assassin and visiting his facility, and visiting others I decided to go with the Assassin. But as I stated all 3 are great I just like the quality and customer service that goes with Assassin. 
    Good to hear. I ordered my Assassin earlier this week. I’m pretty excited about it. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Deek1997 said:
    piney said:
    Deek1997 said:

Good to hear. I ordered my Assassin earlier this week. I’m pretty excited about it. 
    Awesome, keep us posted ! 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Deek1997 said:
    piney said:
    Deek1997 said:

I feel sure you will love it. The quality and workmanship is second to none.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I heard the Assassin has a Miller Lite enabled intuitive user interface....  makes it easy to get it up and smokin' even under the highest level of ML influence.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95