Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sourdough English Muffins

I used the recipe from Tartine Bread. I had to modify because I didn’t have any of that newfangled active dry yeast. I just used 20% active starter in that part of the recipe. Basically this proofed in some way (building the poolish and levaine/ bulk proofing) all day yesterday. It spent the night in the refrigerator. I pulled it about 1 1/2 hours before cooking this morning. 

My wife said, “These are good! They taste like store bought.” I’ll take that as a compliment?

It’s important to cook them covered so they can steam as they cook. Use clarified butter so the butter fat solids don’t burn.

I cooked them 4 minutes per side on medium heat. Rotated 180 degrees after 2 minutes to brown them evenly. 

The crumb was good. 

I had a breakfast sandwich. They are my weakness. 

Stay safe my friends. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Those look amazing.
    NOLA
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Looks great!!

Brandon - Ohio

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I just had a big brunch but I could sure go for one of those breakfast sandwiches.  Look perfect for the strawberry jam I just made.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Beautiful. Love English Muffins.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Goodness! Those look fantastic, Gary. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Solid muffin and sandwich right there

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Oh my!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Yup! Those look fantastic.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    The good news, I’m not thinking about kolaches any longer.  The bad news, I’m fixated on a sourdough English muffin.  I have a can of tuna and some pepper jack just waiting for one of those, toasted.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Looks great! 

Saw them on IG too
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Holy WOW!! 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    SciAggie said:

My wife said, “These are good! They taste like store bought.” I’ll take that as a compliment?

:lol:

know they had to smell better than store-bought!   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Botch They did smell good. And if I didn’t learn anything else - cooking them in clarified butter was the way to go. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    @SciAggie, those look amazing. Great job on them. My mouth was watering looking at them cooking in your cast iron. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    looks good, i’ll have to try it!

Mouthwatering!!!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Exceptional. 

Does making muffins of this caliber earn you the title of “stud muffin?” Asking for a friend. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Exceptional. 

Does making muffins of this caliber earn you the title of “stud muffin?” Asking for a friend. 
    I’ll ask my wife. I’m not getting my hopes up...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Those look just awesome. 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    How did I miss this til now?  Always a  culinary delight when @SciAggie posts.  
    Congrats on another outstanding thread.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    cool cook, my friend
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA