Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideal temp for T bones & Ribeyes

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the ideal temp I should burn my egg at? Steaks are about 1.25 lbs - 2 lbs. How long do you think they need to be on?

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Chris,[p]I did some of both this weekend. The temps, for me, are based on the thickness of the steak. If you have thin steaks, then you don't want to go too high for too long. The ones I cooked were about 1-1/2 " thick (Costco stuff-not too bad). I cooked them about 800° for about 2 to 2-1/2 minutes per side for a medium doneness. [p]Now don't forget, different steaks will react differently in the egg. I checked them at two minutes per side and decided to cook them for 30 seconds longer, per side. A different meat, same cut, might cook faster (or slower). You just have to check as you go .[p]If you want to cook at turbo temps (>1000°), then 1 to 1-1/2 minutes per side will do the trick.[p]Hope this helps. Others may chime in and tell you I'm smokin' rope, do it this way. Mannnnny ways to do things, just do what is confortable for you until you have enough experience to know what to do for what you want. That will not take as much time as you might think.[p]Protrude on[p]Cajun