Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody else having trouble with their Flameboss?

Options
I fired up the Egg and Flameboss about 2:15 to cook a prime rib and the unit has been acting squirrly all day. For the first time ever, I've had a fire go completely out which the Flameboss was active. And when I re-lit with my Loof-lighter, the roast jumped up about 10-12 degrees. All this happened after one of those forced updates the Flameboss executes when it first powers up every now and again.

Anybody else having issues?

Comments

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Mine did the update last week, just as I started a rib cook.  It did act wierd, and had trouble with overshooting the temp a couple of times over that 4-5 hour cook.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options

i quit using mine due to crazy temps
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Pit probe going bad?
    That would be my guess.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Mine did the update last week, just as I started a rib cook.  It did act wierd, and had trouble with overshooting the temp a couple of times over that 4-5 hour cook.

looks like on that overshoot the fan did back down , maybe close your top vent down...doubt it is causing a problem but if not using the meat probe you do not need to put it in the controller ( at least on mine you don't ) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Also, if it's not the pit probe, a leaky gasket or crack in the base will cause temp swings.....the FB will try to fix, but sometimes it can't.  Based off the graph above, it's working the way it should.  The spike at the end came from somewhere....not the fan, as it was shut off.
  • Wpilon
    Wpilon Posts: 42
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Well, the pit probe is new. I've got one of the woven fiberglass gaskets and I've not had a problem with it. After the relight, the pit temp stayed good and I thought everything was good, but when the meat temp hit 130 I took the roast off the egg and into the house. My thermopen said the meat was between 117 and 120 depending on where I probed.

So I'm  not sure what the hell happened.

Oh, and that graph posted above wasn't from my cook.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Was the pit probe above the direct fire, near a drip pan, near the meat, etc?  Make sure its above a plate setter leg, and at least an inch or two from the meat.  Those are the last few ideas I have.

Remember, the pit probe only measures a tiny 1 cubic inch chunk of air under that big dome.  Just like an oven, it will vary by quite a bit.....especially as the fire snakes around the firebox.