Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke from bottom of egg?

Options
I was grilling last night and noticed smoke rolling up from underneath the egg. I have never seen this happen before. Today I cleaned the charcoal out and did not see any cracks in bottom of the base. Is this normal or is there another reason smoke is coming from bottom?

Thanks

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    could it have been steam?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Could it possibly have come out of the bottom vent?  I have had a blast of wind hit the top vent and seen smoke come out the bottom vent, only briefly though.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    might be worth checking and making sure the base isn't cracked 

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Crack will be easier to see, if it’s there, looking on the bottom of the egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    whoever flagged me as off topic is very helpful to the OP question.  OP said they looked for cracks and did not see any. They also said they were grilling, I usually don't roll smoke when grilling so it seemed improbable that smoke would be coming out of a crack on the bottom when "grilling".  Grilling also is done at a higher temperature which causes the egg to sweat and therefore steam.
    With so many people using this forum from smart phones, it’s just too easy to accidentally bump a wrong button. I’m sure it wasn’t intensional.
    But after you get a few it won’t bother you anymore.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    whoever flagged me as off topic is very helpful to the OP question.  OP said they looked for cracks and did not see any. They also said they were grilling, I usually don't roll smoke when grilling so it seemed improbable that smoke would be coming out of a crack on the bottom when "grilling".  Grilling also is done at a higher temperature which causes the egg to sweat and therefore steam.
    With so many people using this forum from smart phones, it’s just too easy to accidentally bump a wrong button. I’m sure it wasn’t intensional.

It just occurred to me that it was probably a dumb thumb. Disregard and carry on.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BadAceBBQ
    Options
    It wasn’t from the vent. The smoke was rolling from bottom up the back of egg. It could possibly be steam. I looked at bottom of egg and didn’t see a crack as well. Going to get some help lifting so I can look around the nest bars. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @alaskanassasin: The flags fluttered very freely these days. I recently got flagged for abuse for posting a coffee-related Valentine’s Day card on a coffee thread. You will likely become desensitized and learn to disregard feedback altogether. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations I tried to oust the flaggers in a previous post but it didn’t gain any traction. I don’t understand why someone who is so offended would still be a member to this forum. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Maybe if we flag every single post they will fix it..
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    BadAceBBQ said:
    It wasn’t from the vent. The smoke was rolling from bottom up the back of egg. It could possibly be steam. I looked at bottom of egg and didn’t see a crack as well. Going to get some help lifting so I can look around the nest bars. 
    Is your egg in a wooden table? If so i would check the table. I have seen a few of these smolder under an egg. Especially if you were grilling at a high heat. Do you have a Kick Ash Basket in your egg?  Just my .02
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I have never been flagged.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Too much for me to pass up @YukonRon . Welcome to the club.
    Mountain View, CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got like a billion.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Oh, well, I misunderstood and thought I was being funny. Not the first time I'm dull like that and definitely not the last.
    Mountain View, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Did you get it tested for Covid 19?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Is your egg in a wood table?  That happened to me a couple of weeks ago...it was the table burning under the center of the egg.
  • BadAceBBQ
    Options
    Update: after using the egg a couple of times there hasn’t been any smoke from bottom. My egg was in a different spot while I got some work done on my patio. I think it got wet from the sprinklers. The steam guess wins.