Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stock market

Options
So I never bought stock and have been wanting to get into the market. I was told from some of the guys at work that with the stock market so low from the COVID19 now is the time. Some suggest purchasing Delta, United airlines, TDOC, Disney, carnival. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? 

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I have a 457 account that is now in the bond market. One more 2000 point drop and it might get rolled over into mutual funds/stock market based. It might take 2 years to see all of the gains but I have the time or if I don't it won't matter to me.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I have a 457 account that is now in the bond market. One more 2000 point drop and it might get rolled over into mutual funds/stock market based. It might take 2 years to see all of the gains but I have the time or if I don't it won't matter to me.
    Kinda same story here; $25K in liquid funds I want to sink into the stock market, but it hasn't fallen quite as much as I want (I have a set number, and no I'm not telling).  
    Having recently dropped into retirement, changing health insurance, AF pension starting up, Civil Service ending, it's kind've an exhilarating time to be making a change like this.  
    But, hell, hold my beer.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Waiting for blood in the streets myself but I don’t think we’re there yet.

Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Google and Apple. Data access is the new oil.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    So I never bought stock and have been wanting to get into the market. I was told from some of the guys at work that with the stock market so low from the COVID19 now is the time. Some suggest purchasing Delta, United airlines, TDOC, Disney, carnival. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? 
    If you are investing for the long term, those are probably pretty decent picks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    Boeing has been crushed by two things. First the cut back in air travel. Second their on going problems with the civilian 737 Max. 
    The flip side is several good military contracts, the P 8 Poseidon patrol plane sold to several countries, the unmanned refueling drone for aircraft carriers, good sales of 777 and 787 twin engine passengers planes before the travel problems. Last since they are pretty much the only large passenger plane company left in the US they are “too big to fail”.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If it were me, I’d stay away from cruise lines. They are likely to have lasting negative effects. Companies like Google on the other hand don’t have any real exposure to this. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    Boeing has been crushed by two things. First the cut back in air travel. Second their on going problems with the civilian 737 Max. 
    The flip side is several good military contracts, the P 8 Poseidon patrol plane sold to several countries, the unmanned refueling drone for aircraft carriers, good sales of 777 and 787 twin engine passengers planes before the travel problems. Last since they are pretty much the only large passenger plane company left in the US they are “too big to fail”.
    Boeing is a good long play. If GE gets back to the low $7s I would jump on that too until it hits the $11.70 range and then dump. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    If things here start to look like they currently do in Italy, I’d anticipate at least another 20% drop in the market.  Nevertheless, some of the tech stocks are bargains right now.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    Options
    Solid @Cornholio
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    Look for the babies getting thrown out with the bathwater.  All ships sink when the tide goes out.  Find companies that were doing really well before this hit and will keep doing well.  It will take time for industries hit hard to recover.  Airlines, cruise, travel.  The good companies getting hit will recover faster. JD and SE are ones to look at.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    The stock market expert posted this on my wall.