Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Will You Be Egging During the Coronapocalypse?

I suspect we will be cooking at home quite a bit over the next couple of months.  I need to fix my BGE (bands have bent), but will probably take care of replacing those tomorrow so that I'm in good shape.  I don't know about all of you, but I'm planning to start with a couple of pork butts so we'll have plenty of vacuum-sealed PP to put in the freezer.  

So put aside the petty politics (I know, guilty as charged) and share what you're smoking up during this extended stay.  There has to be some upside to all of this, and extended use of the BGE seems like something worth focusing on for all of us here.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    For me I will be attempting a Greek Jerky ( gyro meat flavors ) picked up a bunch more Fresnos ( red jalapeno ) to ferment...not egged stuff but keeps me home
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I’ve got a prime brisket from Costco that’s been in the freezer for a while, I suspect that’ll get thrown on when I come back from a quick trip.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    It depends on what is the special at the meat section. I cook three or four pounds at a time then figure out how recycle the leftovers.  Pot pies, soup, Chile etc.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    It depends on what is the special at the meat section. I cook three or four pounds at a time then figure out how recycle the leftovers.  Pot pies, soup, Chile etc.
    The stores around here had some great specials today.

Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I may do a batch of brisket chili as well.  It’s been too long since my last one.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    The stores around here had some great specials today.

Well I could go freezer diving for all the saved stuff there, I could go fishing, or I remember a thread about outdoor cats. I passed 4 fat ones while walking the dog an hour ago.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I got a lot of things (ribs, pork loin, sausage, etc) out of the freezer and am defrosting as we speak.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    I do wish I had some butts and briskets right now.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Here's my conundrum. I've been eating out of the freezer due to the move. Most of the typical everyday meat is gone. The plan was to then restock at Costco after the move.

Have quite a bit of SRF and Creekstone left.

Now that this bs has happened it looks like those are next. No way I'm dealing with this madness 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Even the commissary on base was bananas yesterday.  I got ahead of the really wild rush on groceries.  Picked up pork tenderloin, tri tip, a pork butt, hamburger meat, and a chuck roast.   

Also found out today that I’ll be teleworking for the foreseeable future.  

I’m going to get so fat. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Got a pair of butts, a pair of prime packers, two 3 packs of baby backs all in the freezer. Picking up a handful of stuffed chickens in the morning. Also have 2 venison neck roasts. Also need to grab a couple of bags of lump. Kids and wife home for a month is gonna be no fun. They all enjoy food off the egg tho, cooking should be easy to do
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ColtsFan said:
    Here's my conundrum. I've been eating out of the freezer due to the move. Most of the typical everyday meat is gone. The plan was to then restock at Costco after the move.

Have quite a bit of SRF and Creekstone left.

Now that this bs has happened it looks like those are next. No way I'm dealing with this madness 
    Just pick up a 25 kg sack of flour.  Will keep you and your family alive for a month or so.

I just bought a 15pound frozen turkey. It was that, St. Louis ribs, hamburger, or full briskets or brisket flats. I can do a lot with a turkey but it will need to defrost first.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I suspect we will be cooking at home quite a bit over the next couple of months.  I need to fix my BGE (bands have bent), but will probably take care of replacing those tomorrow so that I'm in good shape.  I don't know about all of you, but I'm planning to start with a couple of pork butts so we'll have plenty of vacuum-sealed PP to put in the freezer.  

So put aside the petty politics (I know, guilty as charged) and share what you're smoking up during this extended stay.  There has to be some upside to all of this, and extended use of the BGE seems like something worth focusing on for all of us here.  
    Someone flagged this?  Really?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Not much will change here.  Plenty of frozen protein to handle an extended "no grocery run" edict but as long as the food road trips are open I will go with fresh purchased and leave the stock for the future.  BTW- SRF is still going strong as are Creekstone Farms and Porter Road.  That's the extent of my food delivery empire.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim

Probably a fat finger get or some douche that flags you no matter what you say.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029

Those bent bands are a hot button topic!    :o

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• I have some chickens thighs and spare ribs this weekend.  Picked up a small, 9lb. Prime brisket from COSTCO today.  Plenty of pork roasts in freezer too.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Just got an email from Uber, who seems to think we’ll be upping our food delivery in the coming months....

If they think that simply having the driver leave food at the door will greatly reduces risk, they are conveniently forgetting that the driver still handles the food containers prior to dropping them off (never mind the hands of those who have actually prepared and packaged the food). 

I feel like the food service industry will take a good beating these next few months. Somewhat indirectly (parents providing babysitting service), my wife and I canceled dinner reservations at a restaurant we had for tomorrow night.
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Well since 12,500 Americans were dead from Swine Flu in April of 2010, and no huge panic or stock market crash then, I will be egging and eating at restaurants as normal .  Pork butt, old bay chicken , and hot
    wings 👍🏼

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    My diybbq.com out door kitchen kit arrives Tuesday. That will keep me busy
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited March 2020
    Tri tip.
    Tons of pork and beef ribs...brisket....and a bunch of wings
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Going to get weird with dumplings. 

Also have 3 freezers full of mostly fancy meat that need to be cleared out. Have some wagyu chuckies, some really nice ribs from the pig we made sausage from, and a bunch of sausage we made.

and I want to fire up the Roccbox several times. Way overdue there 
    Sausage pizza?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Going to get weird with dumplings. 

Also have 3 freezers full of mostly fancy meat that need to be cleared out. Have some wagyu chuckies, some really nice ribs from the pig we made sausage from, and a bunch of sausage we made.

and I want to fire up the Roccbox several times. Way overdue there 
    Sausage pizza?
    Brown chicken brown cow...

(1970's guitar riff commonly associated with low budget p0rn)

This may be a good time to clean up your MM...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Picked up a couple racks of spare ribs tonight. I'll trim them St. Louis style and egg them tomorrow.
    I'm also planning to make a few pizzas to make sure we don't starve.
    I'm eyeing up a rack of short ribs I saw in my freezer today.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Like @SaltySam, I hit the Commissary yesterday and was kinda surprised at the large crowd.  Picked up veggies and stew meat, and a Large pkg of skirt steak. The skirt I divided into three, froze two sections, and the final third made tacos  today, and tomorrow (caveman, again).  Then a big pot of beef stew, which will last prolly the next week.  
    I have enough canned goods to go the next week, mebbe two.
    Then, enough pasta/canned 'maters to go another 2, 3 weeks.  
    After that, sharpen the flint and build up my spear-throwing arm, I guess.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure