Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Brisket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put the brisket on about four hours ago. It's only at 160 internal temperature (indirect heat). I think the internal temperature is supposed to be at 195. What should I do? Thanks in advance

Comments

• T,[p]Leave it right there. It will eventually come up to temp, guaranteed!
  • EGGOMANIAC,
    Should I put it on the grill at any point?

• T,[p]Nope, leave it indirect since you're already on that path. Indirect takes longer but with some patience you'll have a fine piece of meat. I like the dome temp about 218-225.
  • EGGOMANIAC,
    The egg was not intended for people with ADHD. But I love it either way.

• T,[p]Sure it was! Think about what you can sneak in there after the b's done. Think about what you're cooking for the week. Write down what you cooked last week, times, temps, what worked and whazt needs improvement. Think about different smoking woods and such. Rosemary stems work great - so does green sweetgum branches. I know you haven't lifted the lid, right? Now you made me forget what I was doing-o yeah, watching the Jets lose. Now where's my beer.
  • T,
    I have taken the advice of many seasoned eggers here be patiente is one of best.I also keep a cook log on every cook I do Meats,smokewoods used, weather conditons,receipes used,setup with my remote termometer temps at differnt stages of cook.This way I know what worked in the past what to expect out of a certain cut of meat and how the egg reacts in certain weather conditons.[p]Best of luck [p]PS if you are looking you are not cooking [p]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    T,
    No...just leave it where ever you got it and hope it gets hotter...WTF are you talkin about...should I put it on he grill????????....Are ya cookin ther friggin thing on a hair dryer????[p]Wess

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Sheesh Wess.... are we feeling a bit cranky tonight? :)
    You ol' grump! lol!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    WessB,
    Boy! That felt good. I've wanted to say much the same thing too many times lately. Maybe it's time to move on and let the newbies eat themselves.[p]Thanks for posting what I was afraid to Wess.

• Sundown, AlaskanC, WessB,[p]Not to start something since I am mostly a lurker on the forum and only after three years just beyond newbie stage unlike the three of you. I feel compelled, however, to beg for a little compassion for newbies. My guess is the T is a newbie. We all were at one time. I can empathize with T for his lack of experience, especially if he has only the BGE supplied cookbook and hasn't been reading the forum fof long. I learned that there is an art to cooking a good brisket. I worried as I read his concern if he had enough charcoal to complete a long cook. I vividly remember my first brisket a couple of years ago when it appeared to be cooking way too fast. It was the middle of the night and I was surprised to find several responses to my requests for help. If memory serves, it might have been WessB who answered and I was very greatful.[p]For T, I hope you had success in the end and do avail yourself of the knowledge these three and others on the forum provide. Check out the web sites of long time users such as WessB and The Naked Whiz for help in cooking things the first time, like brisket. Brisket is great when done well on the egg.