Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some like it Whet

I have a few knives that I need to sharpen. I have done a little research but wanted to get the community's opinion on the matter. Whetstone or electric? Any specific recommendations? 
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,333
    Ken Onion Work Sharp

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    ColtsFan said:
    Ken Onion Work Sharp

^^^^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I've been very pleased with this:

Note, it does grind your edge to a thinner, 15º "japanese"-style edge, rather than the older European 22º, but I know several of the manufacturers have gone to that narrower edge.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    The Ken Onion Worksharp get top-notch reviews by the BGE Community, and I have to admit, if I was going to buy a sharpening system, that is the one I'd want, but to be honest, it intimidates me a bit.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited February 2020
    I was an early adopter of the WSKO and still use it today. That said, I just got a fancy new chef knife that won’t get anywhere near a belt sender like this. I’m getting some stones for that. 

The work sharp does get things scary sharp if you want that but it has a few drawbacks. 

1- changes the edge profile from chisel to convex. This is cool for most knives but I want a chisel edge in my new knife

2- it etches the blade when you draw it through the guides. If you don’t want a line of etched steel, you need to tape off the rest of the blade

3- it’s notorious for rounding off the tips of knives. You have to follow the directions or you will end up with a rounded nub instead of a tip on your knives. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Note, it does grind your edge to a thinner, 15º "japanese"-style edge, rather than the older European 22º, but I know several of the manufacturers have gone to that narrower edge.  
    How do you determine the angle of the edge? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    It really depends on what Knife you are talking about. And also varies knife to knife.  That said I use the following: honing rod, several different grades of whetstones , and loaded and naked strop. Most of my knives don't see a whetstone, but once a year. In between that they get hit with the honing rod and strop.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/09453069?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Machinery+-+PLA_sBOOjONuz___164110813605_c_S&mkwid=sBOOjONuz|dc&pcrid=164110813605&rd=k&product_id=09453069&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-9aLyNjR5wIVSrzACh3l4Ay5EAQYASABEgIgOvD_BwE

You can sharpen almost anything with one of these, I use a 1000 grit belt and a leather strop with some jewelers rouge. Plus you still have a useful tool for other projects. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Botch
    bhugg said:
    The manufacturers' brochure.  That's not a smart-ass answer, there's no way my old eyes could measure that tiny edge on a kitchen knife.  I do some woodworking, so knife edges are things I try to keep up on.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I have the chefs choice as well as several "static" type sharpeners that all work pretty good for a lay persons purposes, but I've been using the Work Sharp Culinary model as of late. It uses the sand paper type belt system similar to the KO except its specific to sharpening kitchen knives.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Botch said:
    bhugg said:
    The manufacturers' brochure.  That's not a smart-ass answer, there's no way my old eyes could measure that tiny edge on a kitchen knife.  I do some woodworking, so knife edges are things I try to keep up on.   
    I bought a handmade knife in Argentina so it didn't come with a brochure. It has become my favorite knife. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Botch
    bhugg said:
    Botch said:
    bhugg said:
    I bought a handmade knife in Argentina so it didn't come with a brochure. It has become my favorite knife. 
    Hmm, don't know what to tell you then.  I know I've seen some kind of a magnifying loupe that could measure angles, but no idea what it's called, or where to get one.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hi, bhugg,

Among the various sharpening tools and accessories are things edge bevel measure and setting.

While electric sharpeners have gotten a lot better than they were a few decades ago, few people use anything but manual systems/whetstones for higher quality knives. I have an Apex Edge pro system w. a couple of different strops and pastes. Wicked Edge appears comparable.

But for my kitchen drawer knives, I have a cheap draw thru sharpener from Harbor Freight, and an old sharpening rod.

I've tried putting really fine bevels of second hand store knives, and found that while it can be done, after just a few cuts, the edge "rolls" and its duller than to start. So it just doesn't pay to get them sharp. Hard use knives are much the same. They have decent steel, but its assumed that being drawn along and against bones and tendons, they will dull down so much that they will eventually be sharpened away.

A good knife that is stropped should not need to be sharpened more than a couple of times a year with home use.