Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Blueberry Baklava Cinnamon Rolls

After several years of having scratch made cinnamon rolls on my list of things to cook, I can finally scratch this off.  The rolls were prepared using King Arthur Flour's soft cinnamon roll recipe, with my own style thrown into the mix.  The tangzhong was made differently than what's called for in the recipe, as coconut milk and heavy cream were used in lieu of milk and water.  Additionally, it was infused with passion fruit nectar.

Some of the tangzhong was added to the remaining dough ingredients, which was kneaded until smooth, then proofed for 16 hours in the fridge.  The dough was allowed to warm up for an hour before dividing it in half and then rolling it out.  This stuff smelled too good.

The rolled out dough portions were topped with cherry wood smoked blueberry butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and finely ground baklava (leftover from a previous cook).

After the rolls were cut, they were proofed for an hour while the oven got up to temp at 350F.

Coconut icing was made while the rolls were cooking using powdered coconut milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, melted butter and heavy cream.

The rolls took about 35 minutes to cook (188F final temp).

I was pretty happy with the crumb, as it just pulled apart in sheets.

Served up a couple of the small ones for a quick snack.

Soft.  Tender.  Sweet.  Cinnamony.  Coconutty.  Passion Fruity.  The baklava filling was killer and the essence of smoked blueberry just crept up and then lingered a bit before the coconut flavors took over.  I think this wasn't half bad for a first attempt.
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Oh boy. Just reading the last paragraph makes me swoon. 

Fabulous!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Wow. Threads like this are why I love this place. A little bit of everything. I would make myself so sick with a pan of those sitting in front of my face.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    I can't do this thread justice.  Suffice to say your skills cross a spectrum I only am familiar with through your posts.  Wow, just wow!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Another out of my league cook  :)
    canuckland
  • Incredible, as always. Had you considered baking them on the Egg?

If you’re finding yourself wanting to make cinnamon rolls again, just in case you want to switch it up, I will mention that Kenji’s recipe is knockout good, IMO. 

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Yummmmm!!!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Incredible.  Thanks for sharing

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That looks like a killer breakfast right there! Wow
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Another winner!   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    With regard to your photo watermarks, you seem to be a functional addict, so I hope you never get treatment.
    Thank you for sharing another beautiful cook!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd take some extra insulin just to eat one or two of those. Nicely done. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @smokingal It looks like the dough is laying on a black trash bag. Is that for contrast in the photos or is that a genius way of containing flour and mess in the kitchen? Or am I completely mistaken all the way around?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Had you considered baking them on the Egg?

I did but my Egg is currently dismantled in order to replace a bunch of parts.  Didn't feel like putting it back together midweek.  Honestly don't feel like doing it this weekend either, lol.

SciAggie said:
    @smokingal It looks like the dough is laying on a black trash bag. Is that for contrast in the photos or is that a genius way of containing flour and mess in the kitchen? Or am I completely mistaken all the way around?

It's a clear bread bag sliced open for use in rolling out the dough (and eliminating mess) on top of a black marble topped kitchen island.
    Arteflame grill grate

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    smokingal said:
    Had you considered baking them on the Egg?

I did but my Egg is currently dismantled in order to replace a bunch of parts.  Didn't feel like putting it back together midweek.  Honestly don't feel like doing it this weekend either, lol.

SciAggie said:

It's a clear bread bag sliced open for use in rolling out the dough (and eliminating mess) on top of a black marble topped kitchen island.
    Every time I work with flour it looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy exploded in my kitchen 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Oh my! It never stops with you.....
  • Absolutely incredible!  You don't happen to have any plans for the weekend of April 18th, do you?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smokingal
    Absolutely incredible!  You don't happen to have any plans for the weekend of April 18th, do you?  ;)
    I'm a 4/20 baby, so my plans for that weekend involve being on another continent entirely in celebration of my birthday week.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Those look delicious!
    Stillwater, MN
  • smokingal said:
    Absolutely incredible!  You don't happen to have any plans for the weekend of April 18th, do you?  ;)
    I'm a 4/20 baby, so my plans for that weekend involve being on another continent entirely in celebration of my birthday week.
    Hold up - you were born on 4-20?  I’m starting to wonder if the “smokin” part of your handle here is not at all what I thought it was about...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smokingal
    smokingal said:
    Hold up - you were born on 4-20?  I’m starting to wonder if the “smokin” part of your handle here is not at all what I thought it was about...
    Lol.  Not a fan of the ganja.  The handle is strictly related to smoking food.
    Arteflame grill grate